8 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Asia Power index, 15th Asia Media Summit and 2018 ONV Literary Prize among others.
1. As per latest economic data by Asian Development Bank (ADB), what was India’s growth rate for 2018-19?
a) 7.2 percent
b) 7.3 percent
c) 7.4 percent
d) 7.5 percent
2. When did the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) celebrate its 58th Raising Day?
a) May 4
b) May 5
c) May 6
d) May 7
3. Who won the 2018 annual ONV Literary Prize?
a) MT Vasudevan Nair
b) TR Sahni
c) Rameshwari Iyer
d) Konkana Chattupadhaya
4. When was the 2018 World Laughter Day celebrated?
a) May 5
b) May 6
c) May 7
d) May 8
5. Which country launched the communication satellite Apstar-6C recently?
6. NITI Aayog signed Statement of Intent with which company to build the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) ecosystem?
7. The Asia Power index by Australian Lowy Institute ranked India at which position?
8. The 15th Asia Media Summit will be hosted by which city?
c) New Delhi
9. The third edition of UNPCAP was inaugurated in which city?
a) New Delhi
10. Which country has agreed to support India’s candidature for non-permanent membership in UNSC?
11. India won how many gold medals in the South Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Colombo?
12. Which country conducted its first general election in nine years?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) 7.3 percent
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) projected India to remain the fastest growing Asian nation with 7.3 percent growth in 2018-19, and 7.6 percent in 2019-20.
2. (d) May 7
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) celebrated its 58th Raising Day on May 7, 2018. Since its inception in 1960, the BRO has grown from 02 to 19 projects.
3. (a) MT Vasudevan Nair
Jnanpith laureate MT Vasudevan Nair won this year's annual ONV Literary Prize for his overall contributions to Malayalam literature. The award was instituted in memory of iconic poet late O N V Kurup.
4. (b) May 6
World Laughter Day takes place on the first Sunday of May of every year. This year the World laughter day was observed on May 6, 2018. It is celebrated to raise awareness about laughter and its various healing benefits.
5. (c) China
China launched a new communication satellite APSTAR-6C from the southwestern Xichang Satellite Launch Center. The satellite was sent into orbit by the Long March-3B carrier rocket.
6. (a) Google
NITI Aayog and Google on May 7, 2018 signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) to work on a range of initiatives to help build the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) ecosystem across the country.
7. (b) Fourth
The inaugural Asia Power index by the Lowy Institute, an Australian think tank, has ranked India at the 4th position among 25 nations in the Asia Pacific region. The index measures the overall power of 25 countries and territories across the Asia-Pacific region.The power index revealed Japan and India to be countries sharing major power status. While it labeled Japan as a smart power, it called India the giant of the future.
8. (c) New Delhi
India would be hosting the 15th Asia Media Summit (AMS-2018) in New Delhi from May 10-12, 2018. The summit mainly aims to provide a unique opportunity to the broadcasters in Asia to share their thoughts on broadcasting and information.
9. (a) New Delhi
The third edition of the United Nations Peacekeeping Course for African Partners (UNPCAP) was inaugurated in New Delhi on May 7. The main aim of the course is to build and enhance the capacity of the African Troop Contributing Countries to the UN and to further train the trainers from these countries.
10. (a) Guatemala
India and Guatemala have agreed to support each other’s candidature for Non-Permanent Membership in the United Nations Security Council. Guatemala will support India’s candidature for UNSC membership for 2021-22 while India will do so for Guatemala for 2031-32.
11. (c) 20
India on May 6, 2018 finished at the top in the South Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Colombo with 20 gold, 22 silver and 8 bronze medals. The Indian junior athletes also registered five new meet records.
12. (d) Lebanon
The polling stations opened in Lebanon on May 6, 2018 for the country's first parliamentary election in nine years, a period marked by stretches of political paralysis and war in neighbouring Syria. The long-awaited elections were marked by a voter turnout of just under 50 percent, down from 54 percent in the last legislative election in 2009.