The Union Ministry of Urban Development on 22 October 2015 gave its nod to the first batch of state level Action Plans under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT). The approved Action Plans have a total of 143 projects in 89 AMRUT cities in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
The State Annual Action Plans (SAAP) worth 2786.28 crore rupees were cleared by inter-ministerial Apex Committee of AMRUT for 89 cities in the three states.
It is for the first time that the Urban Development Ministry approved state level plans unlike the past practice of appraising and approving individual projects.
The plans include 47 schemes relating to ensuring water supply connections and augmenting water supply. In addition, they also include 31 projects for expanding sewerage network services in identified cities and towns.
Key Points of the Action Plans
• Gujarat proposed SAAP entailed an investment of 1204.42 crore rupees, Rajasthan entailed an investment of 919 crore rupees and Andhra Pradesh proposed an investment of 662.86 crore rupees.
• Gujarat will take up sewerage projects in 25 AMRUT cities at a cost of 916 crore rupees and water supply schemes in 11 cities with an investment of 233.65 crore rupees.
• Rajasthan will take up sewerage schemes in 6 cities at a cost of 555 crore rupees and water supply projects in 10 cities at a cost of 344 crore rupees.
• Andhra Pradesh will focus on water supply in 26 AMRUT cities at a cost of 646.29 crore rupees and provision of green spaces and parks in 30 cities at a cost of 16.57 crore rupees.
• Union Government will provide an assistance of 50 percent of project cost for cities with a population of up to 10 lakhs each and one third of project cost for cities with a population of above 10 lakhs each.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Union Government
When: 22 October 2015