Lal Krishna Advani: Biography and Political Career
Personal Information about Advani Ji
L.K. Advani’s father was Mr. Kishinchand and mother was Gyanidevi. His younger sister is Sheela. He had a horse - driven Victoria at his home. To outsiders, it may have seemed a status sign; to L.K. Advani it was a source of inquisitiveness during his early childhood.
Lal Krishna Advani did his schooling in Karachi at St. Patrick’s High School. He studied there for 6 years from 1936 - 1942. L.K. Advani's life as a social servant started in the year 1947 when he was designated as the Secretary of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, Karachi.
L.K. Advani was thereafter sent to Matsya - Alwar in Rajasthan, which had observed communal aggression following Partition, to keep an eye on the affairs of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh there.
1. In the year 1947, L. K. Advani was designated as the Secretary of RSS of Karachi wing.
2. In 1951, he became the member of Bharatiya Jana Sangh. Bharatiya Jana Sangh was founded by Shri Shyama Prasad Mookerjee.
3. From year 1966 to the year 1967, L.K. Advani was the leader of Bharatiya Jan Sangh.
4. From year 1970 to year 1976, L.K.Advani was the member of Rajya Sabha from Delhi.
5. In the year 1973, L. K. Advani was selected the President of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
6. Thereafter he became the member of Rajya Sabha from Gujarat for the period 1976 to 1982.
7. In the year 1977, with the termination of Jana Sangh, L.K. Advani, alongwith the expert leader Shri. Atal Bihari Vajpayee, joined the Janata Party.
8. In year 1977, Janata Party won the Lok Sabha elections & Morarji Desai became India’s new Prime Minister.
9. From Jan 1980 to Apr 1980, L.K. Advani was the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha.
10. L.K. Advani was selected as the General Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party in the year 1980 & held the position till the year 1986.
11. In 1982, L.K. Advani was re - elected to Rajya Sabha for the 3rd term.
12. In 1986 he became the President of Bharatiya Janata Party & held the post until the year 1991.
13. In year 1988, he was re - elected as the member of Rajya Sabha for the 4th term.
14. In year 1989, L. K. Advani was elected as member in the 9th Lok Sabha.
15. From year 1989 to year 1991 L.K. Advani was the Leader of BJP’s Parliamentary Party in Lok Sabha.
16. From year 1990 to year 1991 L.K. Advani was the Chairman of Review at the Lok Sabha Secretariat Committee as per Recruitment and Conditions Rules 1955.
17. In 1991, L.K. Advani was elected as the member of tenth Lok Sabha for the 2nd term.
18. From year 1991 to year 1993, L.K. Advani was the Leader of Opposition.
19. From year 1993 to year 1998, L.K. Advani again became the President of the BJP.
20. In year 1998, L.K. Advani was elected as the member of 12th Lok Sabha for the 3rd term.
21. From year 1998 to year 1999, L.K. Advani was the Union Cabinet Minister of Home Affairs
22. In year 1999, L.K. Advani was re - elected as member of thirteenth Lok Sabha for the 4th term.
23. From Oct 1999 - May 2004, L.K. Advani was the Union Cabinet Minister of Home Affairs
24. From June 29 2002 to May 2004, L.K. Advani was the Deputy Prime Minister.
25. From July 1, 2002 to August 25, 2002 L.K. Advani was the Union Cabinet Minister of Personnel, Pensions & Public Grievances.
26. In year 2004, L.K. Advani was re - elected for the 5th term in the fourteenth Lok Sabha, becoming the Leader of Opposition.
27. From Aug 5, 2006 to May 2009, L.K. Advani was the member of Committee on Home Affairs.
28. In year 2009, L.K. Advani was re - elected to the fifteenth Lok Sabha for the 6th term.
29. From May 2009 to December 2009, L.K. Advani was the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha.
30. On Aug 4, 2009, L.K. Advani was selected as Member of Committee on Installation of Statues/ Portraits of National Leaders & Parliamentarians of Parliament House Complex.
31. On Aug 31, 2009 L.K. Advani became the Member of Committee of Home Affairs.
32. On Dec 15, 2009, L.K. Advani became Member of Joint Parliamentary Committee on the Maintenance of Heritage Character & Development of Parliament House Complex.
33. On June 10, 2013, L.K. Advani resigned from all the posts held by him. He articulated his concerns saying that BJP is no longer the naive party as it was created by Nanaji Deshmukh, Shyama Prasad Mookerjee, Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Deendayal Upadhyaya.
Yet, after intrusion and pledge from senior leader Rajnath Singh that the party would tackle and look into his concerns, L.K.Advani pulled out his resignation.
Lal Krishna Advani was bestowed with Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in the year 1999 by the Indian Parliamentary Group.
Books and documentaries on L K Advani
- My Country My Life, an autobiographical by L.K. Advani, was released by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on March 19th, 2008
- Lal Krishna Advani: New Approaches to Security & Development
- Lal Krishna Advani: A Prisoner's Scrap - Book
On 8th November 2019; L K Advani ji has celebrated his 92nd birthday. There was the time when Advani ji was the key man in political arena of India. Now he has detached himself from all political affairs of the party.