Narendra Modi Biography: Childhood, Family, Education, Political Life, Net Worth & Key Facts
Narendra Modi Biography: He is a dynamic, determined, and dedicated Prime Minister of India who was born on 17 September 1950 at Vadnagar, India. On 30 May 2019, he was sworn in as India's Prime Minister marking the start of his second term in office. He is also the longest-serving Chief Minister of Gujarat (October 2001 to May 2014). He is a personality of motivation who rose from a poverty-stricken tea-selling boy to a development-oriented leader.
Narendra Modi was born on 17 September, 1950 in Vadnagar, Gujarat to a lower-middle-class family of grocers. He has proved that success has nothing to do with caste, creed, or where a person belongs to. He is the first Prime Minister of India whose mother was alive when he took office. In the Lok Sabha, he represents the Varanasi constituency and is considered a master strategist for his party. Since 2014, he is the current Prime Minister of India and prior to it, he had served as the Chief Minister of Gujarat state from 2001 to 2014.
In Lok Sabha Election 2019, Narendra Modi has won by around 4.79 Lac votes against Shalini Yadav, Samajwadi Party. His Swearing-in ceremony is organised on 30th May, 2019 for the second term as a Prime Minister of India. He is the first BJP leader who has been elected for a second term after the completion of his five-year tenure.
He is a ray of hope in the lives of billions of Indians and one of the most popular leaders who mostly focuses on development. Even the slogan of our PM Narendra Modi "Main Bhi Chowkidar" focuses on the dignity of labour and aims to take the support of the working class. He said this slogan because he felt that he is also standing firm and doing his work as the nation's 'chowkidar'. Further, he emphasised that every Indian who is fighting for corruption, dirt, social evils, etc. for the progress of India is also a 'Chowkidar. This way slogan 'Main bhi chowkidar' went viral.
READ| PM Narendra Modi Birthday Wishes: Powerful & Inspirational Quotes, Messages, Status, and more
Name: Narendra Damodardas Modi
Born: 17 September, 1950
Place of Birth: Vadnagar, Mehsana (Gujarat)
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Father's Name: Late Damodardas Mulchand Modi
Mother's Name: Smt. Heeraben Damodardas Modi
Siblings: Soma Modi, Amrut Modi, Pankaj Modi, Prahlad Modi, Vasantiben Hasmukhlal Modi
Spouse Name: Smt. Jashodaben Modi
Education: SSC – 1967 from SSC board, Gujarat; BA in Political Science a distance-education course from Delhi University, Delhi; PG MA – 1983 Gujarat University, Ahmedabad (acc. to the affidavit before Election Commission)
Political Party: Bharatiya Janta Party
Prime Minister of India: Since 26 May, 2014
Preceded by: Manmohan Singh
Favourite Leaders: Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda
Let us learn about his Biography;
•Narendra Modi: Early Life, Childhood Days and Education
• Narendra Modi: Political Career
• Narendra Modi: Awards and Recognition
• Narendra Modi: Schemes launched
In the 2014 election, Narendra Modi led the BJP to an impressive victory. Do you know that as a first-time MLA he became CM of Gujarat and also as a first-time MP he became the Prime Minister of India? No doubt, he is also one of the best applicable Prime Ministerial candidates for the forthcoming Lok Sabha Elections 2019 from Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP). That is why in the Lok Sabha Election results in 2019, he again became the voice of India.
He always emphasise
"Coming age is the age of knowledge. However, rich, poor, or powerful a country be, if they want to move ahead, only knowledge can lead them to that path."
Narendra Modi: Early Life, Childhood Days and Education
Narendra Modi was born on 17 September, 1950 to a family of grocers in Vadnagar, Mehsana district, Bombay State (present Gujarat). His father's name is late Damodardas Mulchand Modi and his Mother's name is Hiraben Modi, the couple has six children, he is the third eldest among six. In his childhood days, Modi helped his father in selling tea at the Vadnagar Railway Station and later ran a tea stall with his brother near a bus terminus.
In 1967, he had completed his higher secondary education in Vadnagar. At the age of 8 years, he joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). He doesn’t want to marry so he left home at the age of 17 and travelled across the country for the next two years. In his interviews, he told that in these two years he visited several ashrams founded by Swami Vivekananda. Then Modi returned to Vadnagar and after some time he again left for Ahmedabad. There, Modi lived with his uncle, who worked in the canteen at the Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation.
Let us tell you that in 1970 that is at the age of 20, he was so influenced by the RSS that he became the full-time Pracharak and he had formally joined RSS in 1971 at the age of 21. In his area, in the early 1970s, he set up a unit of RSS's students wing namely Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. No doubt, his association with the organisation has significantly benefited his political career. He has completed the Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from the School of Open Learning at the University of Delhi and later he had completed his Master's degree in political science from Gujarat University.
READ| Mahatma Gandhi Biography: Movements, Facts, History & Family
In his childhood days, he had faced several difficulties and obstacles, but he took all the challenges positively and transformed them into opportunities with courage and strength. After joining RSS, he learned the spirit of selflessness, social responsibility, dedication, and nationalism. Furthermore, we will study Narendra Modi's biography.
"Each one of us has a natural instinct to rise, like a flame of the lamp. Let’s nurture this instinct." - Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi: Political Career
- In 1987, he joined the BJP and a year later he was made the general secretary of the Gujarat branch of the party.
- In 1995, he was recognised as a key strategist for being instrumental in successfully campaigning for the party.
- In 1995, he was appointed as the Secretary of the BJP's national unit.
- In 1988 in the Gujarat Assembly elections BJP came as the ruling party in Gujarat.
- Mainly, two events contributed to bringing the BJP power in 1998 that is the Somnath to Ayodhya Rath Yatra, which was a long match by L.K Advani and another was a march from Kanyakumari to Kashmir under Murli Manohar Joshi.
- He was credited for carrying out the responsibility of revamping the organisation of the party in various states.
- In 1988, he became the General Secretary and holds the position till 2001.
- In October 2001, he became the Chief Minister of Gujarat when his predecessor Keshubhai Patel resigned from the post due to health reasons and also BJP lost a few state assembly seats in by-elections. He took the oath on 7 October 2001 as CM of Gujarat.
- Do you know that he remained at the post of CM of Gujarat three consecutive times?
- On 24 February, 2002, he won a by-election to the Rajkot II constituency. He defeated Ashwin Mehta of INC and this was his first and very short term.
- He further contested from Maninagar and won the assembly election by defeating Oza Yatinbhai Narendrakumar of INC. And in the second term, he was retained as a Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- His third term of CM was from 23 December, 2007 till 20 December, 2012. This time also he won from Maninagar and defeated Dinsha Patel of INC.
- He was again elected from Maninagar and defeated Bhatt Shweta Sanjiv. He took the oath as CM which is his fourth term but later he resigned in 2014 from an assembly.
- Then, Narendra Modi contested the 2014 Lok Sabha elections for the first time. He won the election by a large margin and was sworn in as the Prime Minister of India on 26 May, 2014. He became the first Prime Minister of India who was born after India's independence from the British Empire.
"Don't dream to be something but rather dream to do something great!” – Narendra Modi
In Narendra Modi biography major works are mentioned below:
- After becoming the CM of Gujarat in his second term in 2002, he focused on the economic development of the state and makes it an attractive destination for businessmen and industrialists.
- In his third term of CM in 2007, he improved the agricultural growth rate, provided electricity to all villages, and fortifies the rapid development of the state.
- When he was the CM of Gujarat with the support of the government created groundwater conservation projects. This had helped in the cultivation of Bt cotton with the help of irrigation facilities via tube wells. Do you know that Gujarat became the largest producer of Bt Cotton?
- To every village, electricity is brought in the state of Gujarat under Modi's reign. He also changed the system of power distribution in the state by separating agricultural electricity from rural electricity.
READ| Swami Vivekananda Biography: History, Teachings, and Philosophy
- In the BJP election campaign of 2009 and also of 2014, he played a crucial role.
- Also, he had made successful efforts to invite foreign investments in the state of Gujarat.
- Gujarat is the fourth state in the world where we have a separate climate-change department.
- After becoming the PM of India he has initiated several ambitious and important projects like "Swachh Bharat Abhiyan", "Make in India", "Clean Ganga" etc.
- He also tried to improve bilateral relations with other countries of the world.
- He has also shown great interest in strengthening ties with the neighbouring countries.
"Let work itself be the ambition”. – Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi: Awards and Recognition
- In a survey conducted by India Today Magazine, he was named as the best Chief Minister in the country in 2007.
- In 2009, FDI magazine honoured Narendra Modi the Asian Winner of the 'fDi Personality of the Year award.
- In TIME's Asian edition of March 2012, he was featured on the cover page.
- On Forbes magazine's list of the 'World's Most Powerful People' in 2014, he ranked at 15.
- In 2014, 2015, and 2017, he was listed among ‘Time 100 most influential people in the world' by Time magazine.
- In 2014, he was awarded Indian of the Year by the CNN-IBN news network.
- Time Magazine in 2015 released the '30 most influential people on the internet list and he was named as the second most-followed politician on Twitter and Facebook.
- In 2015, Modi was ranked the 13th-Most-Influential Person in the World by Bloomberg Markets Magazine.
- In 2015, he was ranked fifth on Fortune Magazine's first annual list of the "World's Greatest Leaders".
- In 2016, a wax statue of Modi was unveiled at Madame Tussaud Wax Museum in London.
- In 2016 PM Narendra Modi was conferred with the Amir Amanullah Khan Award, the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan.
- In April 2016, he was conferred with Saudi Arabia's highest civilian honour 'King Abdulaziz Sash' by King Salman bin Abdulaziz.
In 2017, the Gallup International Association (GIA) conducted a poll and ranked Modi as the third top leader of the world.
- According to 2018 statistics he is the third most followed head of the state on Twitter and the topmost followed world leader on Facebook and Instagram.
- He ranked 9th in Forbes World's Most Powerful People list 2018.
- In October 2018, Narendra Modi received the UN's highest environmental award, the 'Champions of the Earth' for policy leadership by “pioneering works in championing” the International Solar Alliance and “new areas of levels of cooperation on environmental action”.
- He was conferred with the Seoul Peace Prize in 2018 for improving international cooperation, raising global economic growth, accelerating the Human Development of the people of India by fostering economic growth, etc. Do you know he is the first Indian to win this award?
- On 10 February, he was honoured with Grand Collar of the State of Palestine; the highest civilian honour of Palestine for foreign dignitaries.
- The first Philip Kotler presidential Award is also received by Narendra Modi in 2019.
- In January 2019, PM Narendra Modi, a biographic film starring Vivek Oberoi is going to released soon.
- On 4 April, 2019, UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Al Nahyan has conferred on Indian PM Narendra Modi, the Zayed Medal, the highest decoration awarded to kings, presidents, and heads of the states. He received the honour in appreciation of his efforts in maintaining strategic ties with UAE.
"My struggle is to bring 'life' in 'file'." - Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi: Schemes launched
Narendra Modi's biography also consists of schemes launched under his tenure.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana for financial inclusion.
- Swachch Bharat Mission for better sanitation facilities and cleaning public places.
- Mudra Bank Yojana for banking services for Medium and Small Enterprises.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana to provide skill training to the young workforce.
- Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana to strengthen rural infrastructure.
- Make in India to enhance the manufacturing sector.
- Garib Kalyan Yojana to address the welfare needs of the poor.
- E-Basta an online learning forum.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana for financial empowerment of the girl child.
- Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat to enhance children's reading, writing, and mathematical skills.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana provides LPG to families living as BPL.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana to increase the efficiency in irrigation.
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana is a scheme that provides insurance against crop failure.
- A LPG subsidy scheme is Pahal.
- DDU-Grameen Kaushalya Yojana provides vocational training to the rural youth as a part of the 'Skill India' mission.
- Nayi Manzil Yojana is a skill-based training given to Madrasa students.
- Stand Up India will support women and SC/ST, entrepreneurs.
- Atal Pension Scheme is a pension scheme for unorganised sector employees.
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana scheme provides insurance against accidents.
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana provides life insurance.
- Sagar Mala Project scheme is for developing port infrastructure.
- Smart Cities Project (helps in building urban infrastructure.
- Rurban Mission scheme will provide modern facilities in villages.
- Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana provides affordable housing for all.
- Jan Aushadhi Scheme is a scheme that provides affordable medicines.
- Digital India for a digitally equipped nation and economy.
- Digilocker for securing documents online.
- School Nursery Yojana is an afforestation program by and for young citizens.
- Gold Monetization Scheme involves gold stocks lying idle in households in the economy.
"People's blessings give you the power to work tirelessly. The only thing required is commitment." - Narendra Modi
- Narendra Modi: A Political Biography by Andy Marino is an insightful, exhaustive and impeccably researched account of the ascent of a political leader Narendra Modi. It also analyses the contrasting perspectives on the Gujarat model of governance and development.
- Centrestage: Inside the Narendra Modi Model of Governance by Uday Mahurkar’s. It consists of a balanced and impersonal judgement of Modi's mantra of governance. Various schemes of the Modi government are also discussed in the book.
- Modi: Making of a Prime Minister: Leadership, Governance, and Performance by Vivian Fernandez. This book deals with the several opportunities utilised by Modi to improve the economic conditions of the people of Gujarat.
- The Man of the Moment: Narendra Modi by M V Kamath and Kalindi Randeri. This book unfolds the roller coaster life and the evolution of a consummate politician who has enlarged the contours of politics in India.
- The NaMo Story: A Political Life by Kingshuk Nag. In this book, Narendra Modi's journey from tea vendor's son to the CM of Gujarat is given.
- Narendra Modi: The Game changer by Sudesh Verma. This book is based on the extensive interviews of the Gujarat Chief Minister and his close relatives about the influences that shaped Narendra Modi's thoughts and actions.
- The Modi Effect: Inside Narendra Modi's campaign to transform India by Lance Price. In this book, Narendra Modi Lok Sabha election winner 2014, his strategies and campaign that have been fought that time was unlike and never seen before, etc. are discussed.
- Narendrayan: Story of Narendra Modi by Girish Dabke. This book offers the reader an insightful analysis of the life and political career of Narendra Modi.
- Modi: Common Man’s PM by Kishor Makwana. This book is about the common man's PM Narendra Modi who has become a ray of hope to the people of India after being sworn in as India's PM in May 2014.
- Narendra Modi Change We Can Believe by Sanjay Gaur.
- Prernamurthi Narendra Modi by Shukla Sangeeta. This book is all about details of Narendra Modi since his childhood and will tell how to face adverse situations.
- Narendra Modi: Yes He Can by D.P. Singh.
- War Room: The People, Tactics, and Technology Behind Narendra Modi's 2014 Win by Ullekh NP. This book is a good example of real fieldwork and rigorous research. It will tell you how decisions are made in India.
- For the People: Narendra Modi by Urvish Kantharia.
- Tsunami of Narendra Modi: Challenges and Visions by Ub Singh and Viplav.
- Images of Transformation: Gujarat and Narendra Modi by Pravin Sheth.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi: A Transformational Leader by S K Mehra.
- Modi Doctrine: The Foreign Policy of India’s Prime Minister by Sreeram Chaulia.
- The Narendra Modi Phenomenon by Dhananjay Kumar.
- Modi and the World: (Re) Constructing Indian Foreign Policy by World Scientific (Author) and Sinderpal Singh (Editor).
- Swarnim Bharat Ke Swapndrishtha Narendra Modi by Vijay Nahar etc...
"The life of Gautama Buddha illustrates the power of service, compassion, and, most importantly, renunciation. He was convinced that material wealth is not the sole goal." ― Narendra Modi
Books written by Narendra Modi
Some books are also written by PM Narendra Modi. Let us have a look!
- Exam Warriors in English and Hindi
- A journey: Poems by Narendra Modi
- Jyotipunj in English and Hindi
- Social Harmony
- Nayanam Idam Dhanayam: Poems By Narendra Modi (Sanskrit). Author Narendra Modi and Rajalakshmi Srinivasan.
- Sakshi Bhaav
- Abode of Love
- Cintanaik Kalanjiyam: Poems By Narendra Modi (Tamil) by Narendra Modi and Rajalakshmi Srinivasan
- Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas - Marathi by Narendra Modi, Ajay Koutikwar
- The Great Himalayan Climb: Story of the 1965 Indian Expedition's Record-Breaking Triumph of Everest by Narendra Modi and Capt. M.S. Kohli
- From Crippling Emotions to Can-Do Attitude!: Counter Negativity and Create Energy in Five Smart Steps by Narendra Modi and Jayapriya
- Convenient Action: Gujarat's Response To Challenges Of Climate Change
- Nayan He Dhanya Re ! by Narendra Modi and Jayashree Joshi
- Convenient Action-Continuity For Change
- Aapaatkaal Mein Gujarat
- Ek Soch Dharm Ki by Jagdish Upasane and Narendra Modi
- The 37th Singapore Lecture: India's Singapore Story (The Singapore Lecture Series)
- Janiye Mere Bare Me (Hindi Edition)
- Great Is The Eye by Narendra Modi Trans: Dr. Ram Sharma
- Education Is Empowerment
- Aankh Ye Dhanya Hai by Narendra Modi Trans : Dr. Anjana Sandhir
- Kalviye Mahasakthi
- Divine India
- Shikshanave Sabalikarana
- Dr. Hedgewar Ji Ki Jivanjali (Hindi Edition)
- Samajik Samrasata (Marathi) etc...
"Ones we decide we have to do something, we can go miles ahead." ― Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi no doubt is an inspiration to the youth and also to all the people of the country. After so many hardships today, he is a successful politician and PM of India. The Prime Minister is the leader of the Cabinet Ministers. The main executive powers of the government are vested in the Prime Minister only. This is all about Narendra Modi's early life, political career, awards, etc. in the form of Narendra Modi's biography in short.
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam – The Missile Man of India||List of International Awards received by Narendra Modi|