Presidential Election, 2012 - Directions for Media Coverage During Polling and Counting of Votes
1. Media persons holding Authority Letters issued by the Election Commission only was allowed access to Room No. 63, Parliament House (PH) on the Polling Day (19 July 2012). Photography/Videography was strictly prohibited inside the voting compartment to ensure that there is no violation of secrecy of ballot. Polling was held on 19 July 2012 from 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
2. Counting of votes commenced at 11:00 a.m. on 22 July 2012 (Sunday). Room No. 63, PH, and it's immediate vicinity was a sanitized zone. Media persons holding valid authority letters issued by the Election Commission of India only were allowed to get coverage of the arrangements made for counting of votes and counting process.
3. For coverage of Poll/Counting-in-progress inside Room No. 63, PH, controlled and guided access, in small and manageable audio-visual groups, for short duration, was allowed.
4. Room No. 63 was strictly a silent zone and no mobile phones were allowed inside the room.
5. Discipline, proper decorum and conduct for peaceful counting is to be maintained inside the room.
6. No static (fixed) camera-still or video-of the media was allowed inside Room No. 63, PH. Accordingly, no camera-stand was taken inside the counting hall.
7. While making audio-visual coverage of the counting process with camera carried in hand or on shoulders, the actual votes recorded on and individual ballot papers were not allowed to be photographed or covered by audio-visual coverage.
8. Entry inside the Parliament House Building for all media persons was through Gate No. 4 of the Parliament House on both days i.e. 19 and 22 July 2012.