SBI has always been at the forefront of new employee-centric initiatives and it has proved its leadership in this arena once again by introducing the work from home facility for its over 2 lakh-strong workforces. SBI PO is exam is scheduled in the later half of this year and now you have got another reason to strive hard for that elusive job. Apart from great emoluments and perks, now you can serve the bank even being at home with your family. Let us find out more about this new facility in this article.
What is Work from Home facility by SBI: Let’s decode it
Though ICICI started this facility way back, it was meant only for women employees of the bank. Now, SBI has gone one step further by introducing it for all the employees.
- You can work from mobile devices: In the first step of the initiative, you can work from home from your mobile device only. You can log into the server of the bank and can perform without attending the branch.
- You can do work that requires urgent attention: Though it is still not clear what are the things that you can do from home, the bank has clarified that it will be only for matters that require urgent attention of an employee and he or she does not require to go to office to do the same. It will be both time-saving as well as comfort for the employee.
- All the enabled devices will be linked to the central server of the bank: In order to enable this to start, the bank has connected all the enabled devices to its central server so that you can work from home and all the information and data will be protected by the staunch cyber security measures in the bank. This will take care of the sensitive issue of the initiative.
- The monitoring will be done at the central level: The monitoring of the work done as well as the outcome of the initiative will be done at the central level only. It will also give scope for improvements and refinements in the existing process with the passage of time. The bank has planned to do this through carefully designed MIS process and dashboards also.
- New services to be added later: The bank has announced that in the coming days, complaints monitoring, claims and settlements, cross-selling, CRM etc will also be enabled in this facility to make it more comprehensive and more productive for the banks as well for the employees.
Work from Home facility: Consequences
Though it is the first of its kind initiative at this level by any bank in the country, many other companies have already introduced the same especially the IT companies of the country. For banks, the initiative may be a mixed bag of responses:
- The move is employee centric: The first good thing about this move is that this is an employee centric initiative and will be very helpful mainly for women employees who are often forced to take career breaks due to family issues, pregnancy etc.
- The bank needs to monitor very strictly: The banking sector is very sensitive since it deals with money. The initiative should be free from any kind of cyber threat because any kind of security breach may have disastrous effect on the economy of the country.
- Employees should be monitored: It will be difficult for the bank to monitor the productivity of the employee since he or she will not be coming to the branch and going a step further, it may lead to more and more people opting for this facility rendering branch banking useless.
- There should be clear guidelines regarding opting for WFH facility: This is very important since you require to have a proper reason not to go to the branch. The bank should be very careful in considering applications for this in the future.
- Branch also needs executives: Well, it can’t be that you walk into a branch and you find it understaffed severely. It will be difficult for customer present to get desired services. This aspect should also be taken care by the bank by introducing strict norms for opting for this facility and the maximum time period for which an employee can avail himself or herself of this opportunity.
The work from home facility introduced by the largest lender of the country i.e. State Bank of India is a path breaking initiative in the banking sector of the country. It is going to be very beneficial for women working at various positions in the bank. However, the cyber security measures should be in place that can prevent any kind of data breach because, at the end of the day, the sensitive information at stake matters the most. But kudos to the bank for taking this idea forward and experimenting with it with one of the largest workforces at their disposal.