IBPS PO and SBI PO examinations last year were a game changer for even the seasoned aspirants of banking examinations. Later IBPS Clerk examination also posed great problems to the candidates in general. These days, you need to be prepared thoroughly in order to crack the banking examinations unlike crash course like preparation that used to be the norm till even last year. In this article, we are going to discuss about the changes that have taken place in banking examinations and the ways that should be adopted in order to crack these examinations.
Banking examinations: Now and then
Banking entrance examinations have seen major changes in their pattern in the last few years or so and you need to adapt yourself to the changes in order to be able to crack these examinations. So, let us see the changes in the pattern for the major subjects of banking examinations:
or so and you need to adapt yourself to the changes in order to be able to crack these examinations.
English Language and Comprehension
This is the section which has seen the most drastic change in the scheme of examinations and you need to be very good in English in order to even clear sectional cut off in this section these days.
- Difficulty level of questions: As already mentioned, we have seen higher difficulty levels in the questions belonging to the English section. You have got phrase compatibility questions, paragraph completion questions which are obviously new to the banking aspirants. Apart from these, the difficulty level of questions from Reading Comprehension, para jumbling also have seen a lot of change in the difficulty level.
- Pattern of questions: This has also changed since last year. In case of vocabulary questions, the synonym or the antonym of the word is being asked separately these days and this creates a lot of problems for the aspirants to locate and contextualize a word. Apart from this, the para jumbling questions have also become more on the lines of management aptitude tests. The filler questions have also changed their pattern in the recent banking examinations.
- Test of grammar and vocabulary: The English language test has mainly become a test of your grammar and vocabulary ability and you need to be very strong in order to clear English section in banking examinations these days.
Though these have not been much difference in the pattern of questions in this section, the level of difficulty has increased obviously in this section. These days, attempting more questions in this section has been the norm for former CAT and other management aptitude test takers. You need to have very strong mind calculation abilities in order to score well in Quantitative aptitude section these days.
Again just like mathematics section, this section has also not seen many changes in terms of question pattern in the previous year papers. But the main thing that changed is the difficulty level of the questions. Another aspect has been the dominant presence of puzzles in the reasoning section and the difficulty level of those puzzles. You need to be very strong in your reasoning in order to score well in this section.
GK and Current Affairs
This is another section in banking examination but it has not seen much change in the past year. This section is mainly based on current affairs and conventional GK questions as earlier. You can score well in this section with continuous study of current affairs for the last 3-4 months and the conventional topics of general knowledge as well.
This section has seen questions of a bit difficult level these days but again, you need to study a bit more for this section so that you can score well in the minimum time in this particular section. Computer awareness section is very important from the exam point of view because you do not need to devote much time in this section and with a little bit preparation, you can score well in this section.
New Banking Examinations: How to master it?
Having discussed the major changes that have taken place in the context of banking examinations these days, we can conclude that these examinations now require continuous practice and sincere preparation on the part of the students. Here’s the way to crack these examinations:
- You need to learn basics very well: This is the first important thing that you should do in your preparation. Go through the syllabus and learn the basic things from a subject in order to make sure that your base is strong enough.
- You need to prepare continuously: This is difficult given the fact that you need to prepare and often it seems boring. But you need to motivate yourself all the time reminding yourself the reward that you will get once you are selected.
- SWOT analysis: This is very important since as a human being, you cannot be a superhuman mastering all the topics. First make a list of things that will bring your marks no matter what happens and then focus on areas where you need to work.
- Constant practice holds the key: You need to practice as much as possible in order to be comfortable in the examination pattern. This is important since you require to be confident enough while taking the examination. These examinations also take a test of mental strength at times of difficulty.
- Mock test are obviously of help: Before the examination, take as many mock tests as possible. This helps in building confidence in you and you can score well in the examination as well. However, do not get over confident in case you are getting high marks since it is only mock test.
Banking examinations are becoming difficult day by day and you also need to adapt yourself to the changing trend of these exams in order to get a job in the banking sector. The number of vacancies is coming down and the number of aspirants is going up. You can only succeed if you have very good hold over the subjects in these examinations. So prepare well and prepare continuously in order to succeed in these examinations.
All the best!!