Indo-Nepal joint military exercise Surya Kiran-X commenced on 31 October 2016 at Army Battle School, Saljhandi, Nepal. The exercise will conclude on 13 November 2016.
The joint military exercise is the tenth in the series of such exercise between the two nations.
The Surya Kiran series of exercises are being conducted annually, alternatively in Nepal and India.
In the series of military training exercises undertaken by India with various countries, Surya Kiran series with Nepal is the largest in terms of troop’s participation.
Key highlights of the exercise
• Indian Army is represented by the elite Kumaon Regiment.
• Jabar Jung Battalion of Nepal Army is participating in the tenth edition of the joint exercise on behalf of Nepal Army.
• The aim of the exercise is to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on Counter Terrorism in mountainous terrain.
• Aspects of Disaster Management have also been included in the exercise.
• The Joint Battalion Level Exercise will enhance defence co-operation and relations between the two nations.
• It is an ideal platform for the contingent of both nations to share their experience and gain mutually.
• The Exercise will be yet another step towards taking traditional friendship between the two nations to greater heights.
When: 31 October 2016