4 December: Navy Day in India
45th Navy Day was observed on 4 December 2016 in India. The Day is celebrated to rejoice the splendor, achievements and role of the naval force of India.
On the occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with President Pranab Mukherjee extended greetings to all members of the Indian Navy and highly praised their dedication to protect the maritime interests of nation.
About Navy Day
• The day commemorates the launch of Operation Trident by the Indian Navy against Pakistan on 4 December 1971.
• The Indian Navy played a significant role in the bombing of the Karachi harbour during the 1971 India-Pakistan war. Karachi harbour was the stronghold of the Pakistani Navy.
• Indian Navy was successful in sinking four Pakistani vessels and in ravaging the Karachi harbour fuel fields.
• In this operation, three missile boats of the Indian Navy- INS Nirghat, INS Nipat and INS Veer were deployed.
• Operation Trident also resulted in first use of anti-ship missiles in the Arabian Sea region.