The 7th round of India Kenya Joint Trade Committee (JTC) meet was held in New Delhi on 12 February 2015.
During the meet, the two sides reviewed bilateral trade between the two nations and reiterated their commitment towards strengthening mutually beneficial relationship. The two sides agreed
• To enhance cooperation in the fields of bilateral investment, infrastructure, SMEs, agriculture, health, energy, skill development & entrepreneurship, pharmaceuticals and tourism
• To ensure enhancement of bilateral trade and mutual cooperation, the two sides also agreed to meet often.
Minister of State for Commerce & Industry (Independent Charge) Nirmala Sitharaman led the Indian delegation in the meeting, while the Kenyan delegation was led by Ambassador Amina C Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Trade of Kenya.
The 8th meeting of the Joint Trade Committee would be held in Nairobi.
The Joint Commission of India and Kenya was set up in 1999 and the commission’s first meet was held in July 2003 in Nairobi. The 6th Joint Trade Committee (JTC) was held in October 2010 in Nairobi.
India Kenya relation
India was among the first countries to establish an office in Kenya and Indian Diaspora in Kenya has contributed actively to Kenya’s progress. Some major events and visits of the two countries
• Vice President of India Dr. S Radhakrishnan visited Kenya in July 1956
• President of Kenya Daniel arap Moi visited India in February 1981
• In 1981, President Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy and Prime Minister Indira Gandhi also visited Kenya
• 2nd India-Africa Forum Summit was held in Addis Ababa on 24-25 May 2011
• India’s Minister for External Affairs and Union Minister for Water Resources and Parliamentary Affairs Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal visited Kenya in 2011
• In May 2011, the Vice President of Kenya, Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka led a business delegation to India
• In November 2011, Kenya was also a participant nation at the 11th meeting of the Council of Ministers of the Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC) and associated meetings held in Bengaluru
• In August 2011, Indiafrica: A Shared Future Initiative was organised at the AIESEC Business Summit in Nairobi
Where: New Delhi
When: 12 Febtruary 2015