Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta on 14 July 2013 won the Commonwealth Chess Championship.
Abhijeet Gupta settled for a draw with Indian national title holder G Akash in the 11th and final round that concluded at Boardwalk in Port Elizabeth.
Abhijeet scored nine points out of a possible eleven and had the best tiebreak score to win the gold medal in the championship that also incorporated the South African International open.
Gupta was tied for the top spot along with top seed Sergey Fedorchuk of Ukraine and Sergei Tiviakov of Holland and had the best Bucholz among the three toppers to not only win the Commonwealth but also the overall title.
A brief insight into Abhijeet Gupta’s Career
• He has won overall 19 medals in all in various World, Asian and Commonwealth Chess Championships in Sub Junior, Junior and Senior Category.
• He became National Junior (Under-19) Chess Champion at the age of 13 years and 10 days in 2002, a record unrivaled till 2011 where his name was included in the Limca Book of Records in 2001 as the permanent record holder.
• He became an International Master in 2005 and went on to become an International Grand Master in the year 2008.
• In the year 2012 won one gold and two silver medals in the recently concluded Asian Nations Chess Cup in China.
• In 2010, he won the Bronze medal in the Asian chess championship at Subic Bay in Philippines
Among the women, WGM Soumya Swaminathan won the silver medal while national women's champion Mary Ann Gomes won the bronze. The gold in this category went to International Master Jovanka Housak of England.
The junior section was also swept clean by Indians as G Akash wo the gold Sahaj Grover getting the silver and Rakesh Kulkarni ending with the bronze medal. Kulkarni also won the South African open blitz championship held during the course of the championship.
Who: Abhijeet Gupta
Where: Boardwalk in Port Elizabeth.
When: 14 July 2013
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.