Abhinav Bindra, India's lone individual Olympic gold medallist, on 4 September 2016 officially announced his retirement from shooting.
He announced his retirement after playing for almost two decades. In Rio Olympics 2016, Bindra nearly missed a second Olympic medal by a whisker and came fourth.
Presently, he is the Chairman of a review committee formulated by the NRAI to examine and identify in a cold and ruthless manner the reason as to why shooting failed to secure any medal at Rio Olympic Games.
About Abhinav Bindra
• Abhinav Bindra is the first Indian to win an individual Gold medal in Olympic since 1900 the year our country participated in the Olympic Games.
• Having started his Olympic journey in Sydney back in 2000, he qualified in three Olympic finals including his golden journey of Beijing in 2008 in his pet 10m air rifle, while he missed out in Sydney and London.
• In 2001, he was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Maharaja Ranjit Singh Award.
• He won the Uttaranchal Praman Patra Award in 2003.
• He was conferred with the Madhya Pradesh Khel Ratna in 2006.
• In 2006, he received Punjab Praman Patra Award.
• He won Padma Bhushan in 2009, the same year he was also conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Award, Bharat Shiromani Award and India Youth Sports Icon.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App