Anant G. Geete, Union Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises Minister, on 18 May 2017 formally inaugurated the Test Track Facility at Oragadam, Chennai.
The test track facility is developed by Global Automotive Research Centre (GARC). The facility has been notified to issue certificates under CMVR 1989.
The total cost of Test tracks project is Rs. 193.25 crore.
The Global Automotive Research Centre is a body working under the National Automotive Testing & R&D Infra Project (NATRiP).
The NATRiP is the largest and one of the most significant initiatives of the Government of India in the automotive sector. It represents a unique joining of hands between the Government of India, a number of State Governments and Indian Automotive Industry to create a state of the art Testing, Validation and R&D infrastructure in India.
The Project aims at creating core global competencies in automotive sector in India and facilitate seamless integration of Indian Automotive industry with the world as also to position India prominently on the global automotive map.
About Global Automotive Research Centre
• The GARC has full-fledged homologation test facilities including the Test Tracks to certify all categories of vehicles, systems and components as per national and international standards.
• It is surrounded by major automobile manufacturers like Hyundai, Daimler, Renault, Nissan, Ford, BMW, Mitsubishi and many component manufacturers.
• GARC has been notified by the Government of India as one of the authorized test agency for Type Approval and Homologation Testing under Rule No.126 of CMVR.
• GARC-Chennai with an overall investment of Rs. 963 crore is one such and largest endeavour under NATRiP banner.
• It is one of the six facilities being developed under NATRiP under Department of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises, Government of India.
• GARC is notified under the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 to issue test certificates for homologation.
When: 18 May 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.