Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Governor of Assam
Banwarilal Purohit succeeded Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya, Governor of Nagaland who was Governor in-charge of Assam.
Banwarilal Purohit on 22 August 2016 was sworn in as the Governor of Assam.
Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Ajit Singh administered the oath of office and secrecy to Purohit at the Raj Bhavan in Gauhati.
Purohit succeeded Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya, Governor of Nagaland who was Governor in-charge of Assam.
Who is Banwarilal Purohit?
• Banwarilal Purohit was a Member of Parliament from the Nagpur (Lok Sabha constituency) three times, twice as a Congress member, once as a BJP member.
• In 1984, he was elected to the 8th Lok Sabha as member of Congress Party. He was re-elected in 1989.
• Later, he joined Bharatiya Janata Party when it launched a movement to build Ram Temple in Ayodhya.
• In 1996, he was elected to 11th Lok Sabha as BJP's candidate.
• He gained ownership of the Nagpur daily newspaper The Hitavada in 1980s. The Hitavada was English daily founded by Gopal Krishna Gokhale. Under Banwarilal Purohit, The Hitavada became a leading newspaper of central India and apart from its headquarters edition at Nagpur the daily also launched editions from Jabalpur, Raipur, and Bhopal.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App