Famed Bengali singer Kalika Prasad Bhattacharjee passed away in a car accident on 7 March 2017 in Hooghly district's Gurap town. He was 56. He is survived by his wife and a daughter.
He was on his way to a show in Birbhum, when his car was hit by a truck. Following the smash, his car fell into a ditch on Durgapur expressway at Gurap, Hooghly. Four other singers of Kalika Prasad's band Dohar were also in the car. However, driver and other three people were injured.
About Kalika Prasad Bhattacharjee
• He was best known for popularising folk songs of rural Bengal among the present generation in the albums of his band 'Dohar'.
• In 1999, he co-founded the band Dohar and was the lead singer of this Bangla band.
• He had also lent his voice in films like Jaatishwar (2014), Moner Manush (2010) and Bhuban Majhi (2017).
• He studied Comparative Literature at Jadavpur University.
• He was born and raised in Silchar, Assam.