Two Indians including social activist Bezwada Wilson and musician Thodur Madabusi (TM) Krishna on 26 July 2016 won the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016.
Bezwada Wilson was recognized for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity. He is the National Convener of the Safai Karmachari Andolan (SKA). While, TM Krishna was recognized for ensuring social inclusiveness in culture. He is a Carnatic music vocalist.
They are among the total six awardees selected for the 2016 Ramon Magsaysay Award. The other four awardees are:
• Conchita Carpio Morales (Philippines): She has been recognized for restoring faith in the rule of law.
• Dompet Dhuafa (Indonesia): She has been recognized for expanding the transformative impact of zakat.
• Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (Japan): The organisation has been recognized for building a world of genuine solidarity.
• Vientiane Rescue (Laos): The organisation has been recognized for volunteering to save lives at risk.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award
• The Award was established in 1957 and is widely regarded as Asia’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
• It was established in 1957 in the memory of Philippines’ 3rd President Ramon Magsaysay who had died in air disaster in March 1957.
• The awardees receive a certificate, a medallion bearing the likeness of the late President Ramon Magsaysay, and a cash prize.
• The Award honours those individuals whose lives are characterized by selfless service which impacts the lives of the greater many.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 26 July 2016