Bhubaneswar, the capital city of Odisha, on 27 April 2017 was selected for the Pierre L'Enfant Planning Excellence and Achievement Awards-2017. The city was selected for the award for good and advanced town planning and engaging its residents in the planning process.
With this, Bhubaneswar became India’s first city to be awarded the prestigious award instituted by the American Planning Association (APA).
Bhubaneswar will receive the APA award along with other four awardees on 8 May 2017. The awards will be conferred at an awards luncheon at the association’s National Planning Conference in New York. Category-wise list of awardees
• Daniel Burnham Award for a Comprehensive Plan: Plano Tomorrow Comprehensive Plan – Plano, Texas
• National Planning Excellence Award for a Planning Landmark: Montgomery County’s Agricultural Reserve –Montgomery County, Maryland
• National Planning Excellence Award for Planning Pioneers: Lawrence P. Witzling, PhD, AIA, ASLA—Milwaukee, Wisconsin
• Pierre L’Enfant International Planning Excellence Award: Bhubaneswar Smart City Plan – Odisha, India
• Advancing Diversity & Social Change in Honor of Paul Davidoff: Near Northside Quality of Life Agreement (QLA) 2015 – Houston, Texas
In a tweet message, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has expressed his happiness on becoming the first Indian city to receive Pierre L'Enfant Planning Awards-2017. In his tweet, he wrote, “Congratulate #SmartCityBhubaneswar on becoming 1st Indian city to win @APA_Planning Pierre L’Enfant International Planning Excellence Award”.
Notably, the American Planning Association honours comprehensive planning efforts and inspiring individuals to recognise outstanding community plans, planning programs and initiatives, public education efforts, and individuals for their leadership on planning issues.
When: 27 April 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.