Union Cabinet Decisions: 2 November 2018
The Union Cabinet approved for moving a Resolution in the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) for amending the Framework Agreement of the ISA for opening up the ISA membership to all countries that are members of the United Nations.
Cabinet approves agreement between India & Morocco on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters
• The Union Cabinet approved the Agreement between India and Morocco on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
• The Agreement will provide a broad legal framework for bilateral cooperation between India and Morocco in investigation of crime, tracing, restraint, forfeiture or proceeds and instruments of crime.
• It aims to increase effectiveness in investigation and prosecution of crime, and in providing the necessary peaceful ambience which is a pre-requisite for the development of society as a whole.
• It will be instrumental in gaining better inputs and insights in the modus operandi of organised criminals and terrorists.
Cabinet approves renaming of ‘Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha’ as ‘Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda’
• The Union Cabinet approved renaming of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”
• Veer Surendra Sai is a well-known freedom fighter of Odisha.
• Renaming of the Jharsuguda airport in his name will fulfill long-pending demand of the Odisha Government, which reflects the sentiments of the local public of the respective area.
• It will also be a befitting tribute to the contribution of Surendra Sai, the revered personality associated with the State.
Cabinet apprised of MoUs between India and Russia for cooperation in transport education
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of the two agreements between India and Russia.
• These are: MoU with the Russian Ministry of Transport for the development of cooperation in transport education; and a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with the Joint Stock Company "Russian Railways" (RZD) on technical cooperation in the field of railways.
• The MoUs/ MoCs provide a platform for Indian Railways to interact and share the latest developments and knowledge in the railway sector.
• The MoUs/ MoCs facilitate exchange of technical experts, reports and technical documents, training and seminars, focusing on specific technology areas and other interactions for knowledge sharing.
• The MoU would enable preparation of specific proposals in this area including their implementation within the framework of the Intergovernmental Russian-Indian Commission on Trade-Economic, Scientific-Technical and Cultural cooperation.
• The MoC will enable technical cooperation in implementation of project for upgrading the Nagpur; implementation of Single Traffic Control Center to manage traffic; customisation of manufacture of signaling and interlocking system; and supply of turnout switches for Semi High Speed.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Korea for strengthening cooperation in field of Tourism
• The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Korea for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
• It will expand bilateral cooperation in tourism sector; increase Exchange of information and data related to tourism; encourage cooperation between tourism stakeholders; establish exchange programmes for cooperation in Human Resources Development; etc.
• It will also encourage Investment in the Tourism and Hospitality sectors; exchange visits of Tour Operators; encourage participation in travel exhibitions in both countries and promote safe and sustainable tourism.
Cabinet approves Resolution to open ISA membership for all United Nations member countries
• The Union Cabinet approved for moving a Resolution in the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) for amending the Framework Agreement of the ISA for opening up the ISA membership to all countries that are members of the United Nations.
• Opening the membership of the ISA will put solar energy in global agenda with the universal appeal for developing and deploying solar energy.
• It will make ISA inclusive, whereby all member countries that are members of the United Nations could become member.
• Expanding membership will lead to ISA initiative benefitting the world at large.