Congress leader Captain Amarinder Singh was on 16 March 2017 sworn in as the 26th Chief Minister (CM) of Punjab. Alongside, Navjot Singh Sidhu was sworn in as a Cabinet Minister of Punjab.
Amarinder Singh was administered oath of office and secrecy by Punjab Governor VP Singh Badnore at an impressive ceremony at the Punjab Raj Bhawan.
Nine ministers including two women were also inducted in the state cabinet. The ministers inducted included Brahm Mohindra, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Manpreet Badal, Charanjit Singh Channi, Rana Gurjeet Singh, Sadhu Singh Dharamsot and Tript Rajinder Singh Bajwa. The two women inducted are Aruna Chaudhary and Razia Sultana.
This comes following the landslide victory of Congress in the Punjab Elections 2017. Congress won 77 seats in the 117-seat Assembly. However, other parties AAP and the SAD-BJP alliance could only manage 20 and 18 seats respectively.
About Amarinder Singh
• Amarinder is a former Army captain.
• He joined the Indian Army in June 1963 after graduating from the National Defence Academy and Indian Military Academy.
• He was inducted into the Congress by Rajiv Gandhi and was first elected to the Lok Sabha in 1980.
• He was also the Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the 16th Lok Sabha till 2016.
• This is the second time that Amarinder has become Chief Minister of the state. He was earlier in office from 2002 to 2007.
When: 16 March 2016