The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 3 May 2017 approval the re-structuring the schemes of Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) under Central Sector Scheme SAMPADA.
SAMPADA stands for 'Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters'. The objective of SAMPADA is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease agri-waste.
The scheme was approved for the period 2016- 2020.
Inclusions under SAMPADA
• Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure
• Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters
• Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
• Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
• Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities
Highlights of SAMPADA
• SAMPADA, with an allocation of Rs 6000 crore, is expected to leverage investment of Rs 31400 crore and will handle 334 lakh MT agro-produce valuing Rs 104125 crore.
• It will benefit 20 lakh farmers and will generate 530500 direct/ indirect employment in the country by the year 2019-20.
• SAMPADA is an umbrella scheme incorporating ongoing schemes of the Ministry like Mega Food Parks, Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure, Food Safety, Quality Assurance Infrastructure, Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters and Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages.
• These schemes aim at development of modern infrastructure to encourage entrepreneurs to set up food processing units based on cluster approach, provide effective and seamless backward and forward integration for processed food industry.
• It will result in creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
• It will not only provide a big boost to the growth of food processing sector in the country but also help in providing better prices to farmers.
• It will also help in reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level, availability of safe and convenient processed foods at affordable price to consumers.
• It will enhance the export of the processed foods.