Chhattisgarh Governor Balramji Das Tandon passed away on August 14, 2018 following a cardiac arrest at Dr B R Ambedkar Memorial Hospital in Raipur. He was 90. Tandon was ailing since past many days.
He was very active socially and was an excellent sportperson in Volleyball, swimming, kabaddi and other sports.
Governor recently made headlines for not accepting salary hike
Balramji Das Tandon was in news recently in June 2018 when he decided not to accept the raise in salary after the Centre had issued fresh guidelines on hike in allowances of Governors for tours, hospitality, entertainment and furnishings.
Tandon decided not to accept the revised salary and had written a letter to the state's Accountant General (AG), expressing his desire to draw salary as per the old structure. The AG had given his consent that the Governor would continue with the old salary of Rs 110000.
Political career of Balramji Das Tandon
• Born on November 1, 1927, Tandon was a graduate from Punjab University in Lahore.
• He started his political career as a Corporator of Amritsar Municipal Corporation in 1953.
• Tandon was one of the founder members of the Jan Sangh which was founded in 1951 and later became the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
• He served as the Secretary of Punjab Jan Sangh from 1951 to 1957 and as president of the Punjab BJP during 1995-97.
• In his 65 years of political career, Tandon was six-time MLA. He was elected to Punjab Legislative Assembly from Amritsar in 1960,1962,1967,1969, and 1977, and from Rajpura in 1997.
• During his long political career, he has served on various posts, including as Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab in the Justice (retd) Gurnam Singh-led Cabinet in 1969-70.
• He also served as the BJP President of Punjab for two years.
• He was imprisoned in 1975 during the Emergency for 19 months.
• Later in 2014, he became the Governor of Chhattisgarh. As a Governor, Tandon succeeded Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav who was appointed as acting governor of Chhattisgarh after the resignation of Shekhar Dutt.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider