Current Affairs in Short: 06 September 2019
The team of scientists who collectively produced the world's first image of a black hole were honoured with the Breakthrough Prize.
South Africa temporarily closed its diplomatic missions in Nigeria
• South Africa's Foreign Minister, Naledi Pandor, said that South Africa has temporarily closed its diplomatic missions in Nigeria following reprisal attacks by Nigerians triggered by xenophobic violence in South Africa.
• South African government regrets all violence against foreign-owned stores or Africans from other countries who are resident in the country.
• It was reported that businessmen of South Africa were targeted by protesters in several Nigerian cities. On the other hand, the looters said the attacks were reprisals for the killing of Nigerians in South Africa.
Breakthrough Prize For team behind world's first Black Hole image
• The team of scientists who collectively produced the world's first image of a black hole were honoured with the Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics.
• They were able to achieve an unprecedented resolution and observe the black hole's silhouette for the first time in history, confirming theoretical predictions about these celestial objects.
• The team of 347 scientists has won USD 3 million dollars for what is known as the "Oscars of science."
Alka Lamba quits AAP
• Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA Alka Lamba quit the party today with a tweet saying it was "time to say goodbye".
• She was with the Congress for 20 years before she joined Arvind Kejriwal's AAP in 2013. She won the Delhi election from Chandni Chowk.
• She also urged party chief and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to "accept her resignation" on Twitter.
Election Commission asked Law Ministry to expand the ambit of postal ballots
• This latest order will extend the postal ballot cover to voters on duty which includes voters in the shipping sector, army, fire services, aviation sector, medical services, trains, traffic and the journalists covering elections.
• As per the government norms, ballot papers are distributed electronically to electors and are returned to the election officers via post.
• The notification was ordered under Section 60 of the RP Act, 1951.
Mobile Science Exhibition launched in Ladakh
• Ministry of Culture has recently launched the first-ever Mobile Science Exhibition (Science Explorer) for the Ladakh region.
• Mobile Science Exhibition van will cover all the districts, schools, libraries and educational institutions located in the area.
• The concept is not new in India as the First such mobile science exhibition was launched by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata in the year 1965