Current Affairs in Short: 09 January 2020
Indian-origin writer Jasbinder Bilan has been awarded the UK Children's Book Award for her debut novel Asha and the Spirit Bird.
Jasbinder Bilan wins UK Children Book Award
• Indian-origin writer Jasbinder Bilan has been awarded the UK Children's Book Award for her debut novel Asha and the Spirit Bird.
• The writer has presented her childhood in this biography in the context of the Himalayan Mountains.
• She will get an amount of five thousand pounds as a prize for this book. Another Indian writer Kishwar Desai, Meghnad Desai, won the debut novel award for ‘Witness the Night’ in 2010.
ICAR to establish Farmers’ Innovation Fund
• Farmers’ Innovation Fund will be established by the next financial year. This announcement was made during the Kisan Science Congress.
• The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) was established on 15 July 1929. Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
• It is an autonomous body. Its main function is to coordinate agricultural research and education in India.
Centre approves ordinance related to Coal Mines
• The government has approved the ordinance to change two laws related to mining. It will provide any domestic or foreign company to bid for coal mines.
• In order to get the allocation of coal mines for this ordinance, the condition of the company 'is in the field of coal business in India' has been removed.
• The cabinet approved the 'Mineral Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020' for changes in the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015.
Justin Bieber reveals he has Lyme disease
• Justin Bieber, a Canadian pop singer, recently revealed that he is battling Lyme disease. He revealed in an Instagram post that he has been diagnosed with this chronic infection for the past some time.
• He said in an Instagram post that he has been diagnosed with Lyme disease. This disease is usually caused by bacteria spread by tick bites.
• Lyme disease is also called Lyme borreliosis. It is a chronic infectious disease caused by the Borrelia bacterium which is spread by ticks.
Army Chief MM Naravne’s maiden visit to Siachen after assuming office
• Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Narawane recently visited Siachen as his maiden visit to any forward post after becoming Army Chief.
• Siachen is the world’s highest battlefield. He witnessed dropping of essentials to the Jawans posted in Siachen.
• He also paid homage at Siachen War Memorial at the base camp.