Current Affairs in Short: 09 September 2019
Any common person with a bank account linked to Aadhaar can perform basic banking services such as cash withdrawals and balance enquiry.
India Post Payments Bank Announces Rollout of Aadhaar Enabled Payment Services
• Any common person with a bank account linked to Aadhaar can perform basic banking services such as cash withdrawals and balance enquiry irrespective of the bank they hold their account with.
• A customer with an Aadhaar linked account can simply authenticate his/her identity with fingerprint scan & Aadhaar authentication to complete a transaction.
• IPPB has now become the single largest platform in the country for providing interoperable banking services to the customers of ANY BANK by leveraging the last mile unprecedented reach of the Postal network.
ADB to provide USD 200 million loan to improve rural connectivity in Maharashtra
• The Government of India and The Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a USD 200 million loan to upgrade rural roads to all-weather standards in 34 districts of Maharashtra.
• Its objective is to improve road safety and better connect rural areas with markets and services. Road construction and repairing work will be started with the loan.
• ADB and GOI project will improve the condition of about 2,100 kilometres (km) of rural roads to all-weather standards. It will also provide climate resilience and safety features, connecting rural communities with productive agricultural areas and socio-economic centres.
CoA of BCCI appoints a committee to run Bihar Cricket Association
• BCCI’s Committee of Administrators (CoA) has recently appointed a 3 member Independent Supervisory Committee to run the cricketing affairs of Bihar Cricket Association (BCA) and also conduct fresh elections.
• This committee will have powers to supervise, regulate and suspend the powers, duties and functioning of all post holders in the BCA. Also, it can appoint or replace electoral officer, ombudsman and ethics officer.
• This newly formed committee can appoint selectors, team officials and match officials and also assign auditors to investigate utilization of funds granted by the BCCI.
Telangana CM presents budget in legislative assembly
• The Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao has presented the annual budget for the year 2019-20. He downsized the budged to 1 lakh 46 thousand 492 crore rupees.
• K Chandrasekhar Rao government had to consider the financial crisis which is looming large around the country and forced to take practical decisions.
• He assured people in his hour-long budget speech that the government will make all-out efforts to fulfil the assurances given during elections.
Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman appointed as new Energy minister of Saudi Arabia
• Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman has been appointed as new Energy minister of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This post is generally considered as one of the most important positions in the government.
• Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman had earlier served as the Deputy and State Energy Minister for several years, he is the son of the King of Saudi Arabia.
• It is the first time when any member of the ruling Al Saud family has given the energy minister post in Saudi Arabia.