Government to allow spouses of Indian nationals to convert visa category even if married abroad
• Spouses of the Indian nationals getting married abroad will no longer have to face difficulties in converting their tourist visa to dependent visa as the government plans to change existing rules.
• The move came after the Philipino spouse of an Indian national, who married outside the country, faced difficulties in converting her tourist visa to X2 (dependent visa) as the existing visa rules did not permit to do so. The husband had complained to Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
• As per the visa manual, tourist visa can be converted to X2 visa only when the marriage takes place in India and gets registered within the validity of the present tourist visa.
• At present, if anyone wants to convert tourist visa to X2 visa, he or she has to go back to his or her country and come back on an X2 visa.
Tamil Nadu Assembly passes Lok Ayuktha Bill
• Tamilnadu Assembly passed the Lok Ayuktha Bill that was introduced by State Administrative Reforms Minister D Jayakumar in the Assembly.
• The Government has decided to establish Lokayukta to inquire into the allegations of corruption against public servants.
• The act will be called as the Tamil Nadu Lol Ayuktha Act, 2018.
• The Chairperson and the members will be appointed by the State Governor on the recommendation of the selection Committee.
• The Bill would involve expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of the State in the implementation of the Act.
Madras HC asks CBSE to grant additional marks to those who took NEET in Tamil
• The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court directed the CBSE to grant four marks to each of the 49 erroneously translated questions in the Tamil version of the NEET question paper.
• It further directed the CBSE to revise the list of qualified candidates and publish the same afresh.
• However the court said that it was left to the authorities concerned to go about with the counselling for eligible MBBS candidates.
• A Division Bench of Justices C.T. Selvam and A. M. Basheer Ahamed observed that the Tamil-medium students be suitably compensated to provide a level-playing field.
• The court also refused to accept the answer given by CBSE which said that the teachers of respective languages, having knowledge of relevant technical terms, would have taught the students the same.
SC favours Live-Streaming of Court Hearings
• Chief Justice Deepak Misra recently ruled that, “The concept of access to justice can be stretched through live streaming.
• Senior lawyer Indira Jaising and others filed a petition for live streaming of Court’s proceedings.
• The Centre in its reply to the petition said if the top court takes a policy decision; it can facilitate the setting up of a separate channel for the Supreme Court.
Michael Ondaatje’s ‘The English Patient’ voted as Best-ever Booker Prize winner
• Michael Ondaatje’s ‘The English Patient’ was voted as the best-ever Man Booker Prize winner, celebrating five decades of this prestigious literary award.
• The English Patient won the Booker Prize in the year 1992.
• The book was later adapted into a movie in 1996 that won nine academy awards.
• The novel beat 4 other novels in an online poll that received a total of 9000 votes.
PM laid foundation for urban infra projects
• PM Modi laid the foundation stone of 13 Urban Infrastructure projects for the State of Rajasthan.
• Some of the major projects are integrated infrastructure project for Udaipur, elevated road project for Ajmer and water and sewage projects.
• The Central Water Commission gave hydrological clearance to Rajasthan’s first interlinking of rivers project — Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project (ERCP).
Satyarup Siddhanta scales world’s highest volcano
• Satyarup Siddhanta has become the 2nd Indian mountaineer after Malli Mastan Babu to climb Mt Ojos del Salado, the highest volcano in the world.
• Ojos del Salado is a stratovolcano in the Andes on the Argentina-Chile border.
• It is also the highest active volcano in the world at 6893 metres.
• Satyarup is also set to be the first Indian to climb Mt Sidley, the highest volcano of Antarctica.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports