Government sets up T.C.A. Anant panel to bring transparency in jobs data
• The union government has set up a committee headed by former chief statistician of India TCA Anant to bring in transparency in the jobs data calculation and presentation.
• The labour bureau conducts two major surveys on employment scenario—Annual Employment-Unemployment Survey and Quarterly Employment Survey.
• The Annual Employment Unemployment Survey was later replaced by Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) being conducted by ministry of statistics and programme implementation (MoSPI).
• The PLFS would not only have annual data on employment-unemployment on rural sector but will also have quarterly data on employment-unemployment on urban sector based on larger sample size.
• The technical panel will therefore, look into the above aspects and submit its report at the earliest.
Britain assures India of full cooperation in bringing to book any fugitive
• The United Kingdom has assured India of full co-operation towards bringing to book anybody whether it is Vijay Mallya or Nirav Modi who is wanted in India by Indian courts or agencies.
• This was stated by Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju after his meeting with UK Minister of state for counter terrorism Baroness Williams in New Delhi on June 11, 2018.
• The UK Minister clarified that Britain should not be viewed as a safe haven for men wanted by the law of the other country for various offences.
• The Minister said that the issue of extradition of liquor baron Vijay Mallya is progressing through appropriate legal channels.
Gujarat tops e-way bill collection
• Despite industries such as textiles and ceramics, among others facing teething problems, Gujarat has emerged as the leading state in generating e-way bills during April, May and the first week of June.
• The state has generated over 10.72 million inter- and intra-state e-way bills, followed by Maharashtra (8.13 million), Karnataka (8.05 million), Uttar Pradesh (7.64 million) and Haryana (7.63 million), respectively.
• Rolled out on April 1, the e-way bill system under the new Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime requires businesses and transporters moving goods worth more than Rs 50,000 from one state to another to generate and produce an e-way bill.
• For the period of April, May and first week of June, Gujarat recorded a collection of 4.9 million, 5.2 million, and 573,453 e-way bills, respectively.
India showed global leadership by pledging to phase out single-use plastics by 2022: UN Environment chief
• Calling the World Environment Day celebrations in India "historic", UN Environment chief Erik Solheim has said that by announcing that it will phase out single-use plastics by 2022, India has demonstrated global leadership.
• During an event to celebrate the WED-2018 on June 5 in New Delhi, Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan pledged to eliminate single-use plastics from India by 2022.
• "While I know implementation is a challenge, I have absolutely no doubt that India will succeed and this will have a major impact on the world," Solheim said.
• He had said previously that the World Environment Day will be a call to action and leadership and asserted India is the "perfect" place for that to happen. India was the global host of the day this year.
Haryana government to increase duty of home guard volunteers
• The Haryana government has decided to increase the duty of home guard volunteers from 90 days to 150 days per year.
• The government has also decided that the remuneration to the home guard volunteers would be made through e-payment in their bank accounts.
• The call out roster of home guard volunteers would be made available at the website of the department from July so as to ensure transparency in the system.
• Apart from this, no payments would be made through cheque or in cash rather the payment of remuneration would be made through e-payment latest by first week of the month.
Axis tops value, Paytm volumes in mobile banking
• According to State Bank of India’s (SBI) annual report for 2017-18, Axis Bank commands the largest value share of mobile banking transactions at 17. 2 per cent but Paytm tops volumes with 22 per cent.
• However, Paytm’s value share is a meagre 0.25 per cent, as per the report.
• On the other hand, ICICI Bank has a 17.1 per cent share of transactions by value and 9.7 per cent by volume.
• SBI’s volume share slipped by over 5 percentage points from nearly 25 per cent at the end of March 2017 to 19.5 per cent in January 2018. The lender also lost value share to 16.8 per cent from a high of 44.4 per cent a year ago.
• Mobile-banking usage itself has seen a steep jump, with volumes soaring a steep 91 per cent to 1,871 million in FY18 from 977 million in FY17.
Haryana to develop Madhogarh Fort
• Haryana Minister Ram Bilas Sharma has said the Madhogarh Fort in Mahendragarh would be developed on the pattern of the Mughal Gardens in Pinjore
• Sharma added that with the completion of the Madhogarh-Mahendragarh-Narnaul-Rewari Heritage Circuit, the pace of development would be accelerated in southern Haryana.
• This circuit would not only benefit Mahendragarh and Rewari districts, but also the neighbouring districts of Bhiwani and Gurugram, by creating direct and indirect job opportunities for the youth especially.
• The construction work on the 35-km-wide and two-km-long road leading to the fort at a height of about 400 metres, has already begun.
China to launch broader environmental inspections this month
• China will expand environmental inspections to more cities and regions in a new round of checks from June 2018 to April 2019, as a part of its three-year anti-pollution plan.
• Apart from smog-heavy Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and nearby areas, the inspections will also target the Yangtze River Delta region, including Shanghai and Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui provinces and some 11 cities in the northwestern provinces of Shanxi and Shaanxi.
• Two hundred teams with a total of some 18,000 inspectors and support staff will be sent out, tripling the workforce for the inspections carried out during this past winter.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week