Current Affairs in Short: 15 January 2019
71st Army Day was celebrated across India on January 15, 2019 to commemorate the day when General (later Field Marshal) KM Carriappa took over the command of Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Commander-in-Chief of Indian Army.
Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2018-19 (Series-V) opens
• The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2018-19 (Series-V) opened on January 15, 2019 for subion.
• The issue price of the Bond during this subion period will be three thousand two hundred and fourteen rupees per gram with the settlement date of January 22, 2019.
• The Centre in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India has decided to allow discount of 50 rupees per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply on-line and make the payment through digital mode.
Google Doodle celebrates Anglo-Indian entrepreneur Sake Dean Mahomed
• Google doodle on January 15, 2019 celebrated the Anglo-Indian traveller, Sake Dean Mahomed.
• Mahomed, an entrepreneur, is known for building cultural connections between India and England.
• On this day, 225 years ago, Mahomed became the first Indian author to publish a book in English.
• In 1810, after moving to London, Mahomed opened the Hindostanee Coffee House, Britain's first Indian restaurant.
• Mahomed also found success as the ‘The Shampooing Surgeon of Brighton’ by opening a spa in the British seaside town that attracted the rich and royal.
• In 1822, he was appointed the personal 'shampooing surgeon' of King George IV.
71st Army Day celebrated in India
• 71st Army Day was celebrated across India on January 15, 2019.
• President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended their greetings to the soldiers and their families on Army Day.
• The Day is celebrated every year to commemorate the day when General (later Field Marshal) KM Carriappa took over the command of Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Commander-in-Chief of Indian Army.
• The day is celebrated in the form of parades and other military shows in the National Capital as well as in all headquarters.
Tamil Nadu introduces road safety robot ‘ROADEO’
• The Chennai Traffic Police inducted a road safety robot into service on January 14, 2019 for traffic management.
• The robot is named as ‘ROADEO’.
• The robot will help police in traffic management and assist pedestrians in Chennai roads.
• It will also ease the work of traffic police as the robot can be integrated with the traffic signals.
• The robot can also be operated manually through a Bluetooth app.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan launches DD Science and India Science channels
• The Department of Science and Technology, along with Doordarshan, launched two science communication initiatives - DD Science and India Science.
• The aim is to launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to science.
• The two channels will have science based documentaries, studio based discussions, and virtual walkthroughs of of scientific institutions, interviews and short films and will be free to access.
• While DD Science is a one hour slot on Doordarshan National channel, India Science is an internet based science channel.
• These channels are the first step in creating a national science channel for India.