Current Affairs in Short: 15 March 2019
The Election Commission launched a mobile application that will help poll observers to submit reports timely. Over 1800 IAS, IPS and IRS officials, officials of Central services will be deployed as observers in the upcoming Lok Sabha election 2019 and State Assembly elections.
Fact Sheet on Electoral Roll Data 2019: Election Commission
• As per available Electoral Roll Data 2019, there are 15064824 voters in the age group 18-19 years.
• The Electors Photo Identity Card coverage of 99.36 percent has been achieved till date.
• The Elector/Population Ratio is 631 currently and Gender Ratio is 958.
• The Data was released in the wake of upcoming Lok Sabha Elections 2019.
Man Portable Anti Tank Guided Missile test-fired successfully twice
• The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired indigenously developed, low weight, fire and forget Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) for the second time on March 14, 2019 in the ranges of Rajasthan desert.
• The first test was conducted on March 14, 2019.
• The MPATGM is incorporated with advanced features including Imaging Infrared Radar (IIR) Seeker with integrated avionics.
• In both the missions, the missiles hit the designated targets precisely at different ranges.
• All the mission objectives were met.
Election Commission introduces mobile app for observers
• The Election Commission launched a mobile application that will help poll observers to submit reports timely.
• Over 1800 IAS, IPS and IRS officials, officials of Central services will be deployed as observers in the upcoming Lok Sabha election 2019 and State Assembly elections.
• These officers will be deployed as general, police and expenditure observers.
• They will be closely involved in real-time disposal of Model Code of Conduct and expenditure violation cases received through another mobile application “cVIGIL”.
• They will get all the important notifications, alerts, and urgent messages through the “Observer App”.
• It will help them get their deployment status, download their ID card and update their profile.
Former Minister YS Vivekananda Reddy dies
• Former Member of Parliament and Andhra Prdesh minister, YS Vivekananda Reddy passed away in the in Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh.
• He was the younger brother of former Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, popularly known as YSR, and paternal uncle of YSRCP president Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy.
• Reddy won Pulivendula assembly constituency twice in 1989 and 1994 and represented Kadapa Lok Sabha in the parliament twice.
• In 2009, he was elected as MLC and was given the portfolio of Agriculture after YSR passed away in Kiran Kumar Reddy cabinet.
EVMs, VVPATs carrying vehicles to be fitted with GPS trackers: Election Commission
• The Election Commission announced that the vehicles carrying reserved EVMs and VVPATs during the Lok Sabha election 2019 will be equipped with GPS to track their movement.
• The decision came after the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) and Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines were found in hotels, roads and even at the residence of an MLA in 2018.
• It will carefully monitor the ‘end-to-end’ movement of all reserved EVMs and paper trail machines.
• The commission will set up around 10.35 lakh polling stations in the country.
• Lok Sabha elections will begin on April 11 and continue May 19 in seven phases.
• The counting of votes will be held on May 23.
France to freeze all assets of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar
• France announced to freeze all assets of Pakistan based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar in application of its Monetary and Financial Code.
• France would also raise the issue with its European partners with a view to including Masood Azhar on the European Union list of persons, groups and entities involved in terrorist acts.
• The decision came after China blocked the UNSC bid to designate Azhar as global terrorist. France was one of the main initiators of the proposal.
• Jaish e Mohammad claimed responsibility of the Pulwama terror attack on CRPF convoy on February 14, 2019.
President Kovind gives away National Grassroots Innovators Awards
• President Ramnath Kovind awarded National Grassroots Innovators at Grambharti near Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
• Prakash Singh Raghuvanshi from Uttar Pradesh was awarded lifetime achievement award for his innovations in new varieties of agriculture crops.
• The first prize in Veterinary, Herbal medication for coccidiosis was presented to Periyasami Ramasami of Salem, Tamil Nadu.
• The President also inaugurated the exhibition of the Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Mumbai foot over bridge collapsed killing 6
• At least six people were killed and 31 injured after a portion of a foot-over bridge near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in Mumbai collapsed.
• A team of the National Disaster Response Force rushed into service to carry out rescue operations.
• The injured were admitted to nearby hospitals.
• The Maharashtra government ordered a high-level probe into the accident. The inquiry panel will also investigate if the structural audit failed to detect any damage.
• The bridge, built in 1980, was found to be fit last year and was currently undergoing some minor repairs.
EC announces by-polls in 3 Assembly constituencies of Gujarat
• The Election Commission announced by-elections for Dhrangadhra, Manavadar and Jamnagar Rural Assembly constituencies in Gujarat.
• The notification will be issued on the March 28, 2019 and polling will be held on April 23, along with voting for state's 26 parliamentary seats.
• Counting will take place on May 23 along with general election results.
• The by-polls were necessitated due to the resignation of Congress' sitting MLAs - Parshottam Saparia from Dhrangadhra, Jawahar Chavda from Manavadar and Vallabh Dharaviya from Jamnagar Rural.
• They have quit the party and joined the ruling BJP.