Current Affairs in Short: 15 November 2018
The State Transport Department proposed to decentralise the lone auto-rickshaw testing unit in Delhi. This comes after Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal pulled up officials for not having enough anti-corruption measures in place.
Delhi Government to have 13 fitness testing centres for autos
• The State Transport Department proposed to decentralise the lone auto-rickshaw testing unit in Delhi.
• This comes after Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal pulled up officials for not having enough anti-corruption measures in place.
• Under the decentralisation plan, the department proposed to open auto-rickshaw fitness testing units at 13 motor licensing offices across Delhi.
• It also suggested that the fee will be accepted online only in order to remove the network of touts or to include it among the facilities to be provided under the Aam Aadmi Party government’s flagship doorstep delivery of services scheme.
• While there are about 95,000 autos in the capital, there is currently only one fitness centre at North Delhi’s Burari.
Election Commission appoints Ashish Kundra as Chief Electoral Officer of Mizoram
• The Election Commission appointed Ashish Kundra as the New Chief Electoral Officer of Mizoram, replacing the present incumbent SB Shashank.
• Kundra is the principal secretary of the General Administration Department of Mizoram.
• Earlier last week, there were protests in the state demanding a removal of CEO Shashank under the banner of NGO Coordination Committee.
• The state is going to poll on November 28, 2018 to elect 40 members in state Assembly.
Setback for Theresa May as Dominic Raab resigns as Brexit Secretary
• British Prime Minister Theresa May suffered a blow on November 15, 2018 after the Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab resigned over a proposed EU withdrawal agreement.
• Raab said he cannot reconcile the terms of the proposed deal.
• Raab, who had been in place since July 2018, resigned soon after the resignation of Shailesh Vara as a junior Northern Ireland Minister over the draft accord.
Veteran journalist N Ram to receive Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award
• Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate National Press Day celebrations in New Delhi on November 16, 2018.
• The winners of National Awards for Excellence in Journalism will be honoured on the occasion of the Day.
• Eminent journalist and Chairman of the Hindu Publishing Group, N Ram was selected under prestigious award category of Raja Ram Mohan Roy award.
• Ruby Sarkar, Chief Correspondent of Deshbandhu, Bhopal; and Rajesh Joshte of Daily Pudhari in Ratnagiri will share the award in category of Rural Journalism.
• The National Press Day is symbolic of a free and responsible press in India.
Delhi Police launces e-learning portal ‘NIPUN’ for training its personnel
• Delhi Police launched e-learning portal ‘NIPUN’ to impart training and provide up to date information to police officers.
• The initiative is aimed at imparting in-service online training and information to police personnel through specialised courses available online.
• The online courses on NIPUN portal have been designed in collaboration with University Grant Commission (UGC), FICCI, NHRC, NCPCR and Janaki Devi Memorial College, Delhi University under project CLAP “The Collaborative Learning and Partnership”.
• Delhi Legal Service Authority consented to be partner in developing specific courses for the Delhi Police.
• Through this portal, Delhi Police officers can access information by just logging on the portal.
Regional meeting of World Customs Organisation held in Jaipur
• Four-day regional meeting of World Customs Organisation (WCO) was held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
• It was attended by representatives of 33 member countries of Asia.
• The meeting was jointly chaired by WCO Deputy Secretary General, Ricardo Travino and Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs Chairman, S Ramesh.
• The meeting deliberated upon amended Kyoto protocol, digital customs, e-commerce among other issues.
• Summary of various efforts made by National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) for trade facilitation was also tabled in the meeting.
• WCO is independent intergovernmental body whose mission is to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of Customs administrations. It was established in 1952 as Customs Co-operation Council (CCC).
S K Seth sworn-in as Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court
• Justice S K Seth took oath as Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court on November 14, 2018.
• Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel administered the oath of office to Justice Seth.
• With this, Justice Seth becomes the 24th Chief Justice of the MP High Court.
• Justice Seth is also the senior-most judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court.
World Diabetes Day 2018 observed globally
• World Diabetes Day was observed across the world on November 14, 2018 with the theme ‘The Family and Diabetes’.
• The theme aims to raise awareness about the impact of diabetes on the family.
• The World Diabetes Day was instituted by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2007 by passing resolution A/RES/61/225.
• Diabetes is a chronic, progressive non-communicable disease (NCD) characterised by elevated levels of blood sugar (blood glucose).
• It occurs when either the pancreas does not produce enough of the insulin hormone or the body cannot effectively use the insulin it produces.