Nation remembers former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on his birth anniversary
• India remembered former President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on his birth anniversary on October 15, 2018.
• Kalam is known as the Missile Man of India.
• He served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, Dr Kalam was an exceptional teacher, a wonderful motivator and an outstanding scientist.
• Home Minister Rajnath Singh said, Dr Kalam was a visionary scientist and a people’s President.
• Kalam ignited a thousand minds and epitomised selfless service, humility and wisdom.
India, China launch their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats
• India and China launched their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats.
• Ambassador to Afghanistan, Vinay Kumar hosted 10 Afghan Diplomats who will be travelling to India for the 1st India-China joint training programme for Afghan diplomats under the aegis of the Trilateral Cooperation between India, China and Afghanistan.
• An understanding to launch a joint programme was reached during an informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping held in April 2018 at China's Wuhan city.
• The summit was held after Indian and Chinese troops were locked in a 73-day face-off at Doklam on the India-Bhutan-China international trijunction in 2017.
Mahila Kisan Diwas being celebrated to increase active participation of women in agriculture
• Mahila Kisan Diwas was celebrated on October 15, 2018 to increase the active participation of women in agriculture.
• Women farmers, entrepreneurs, farming organizations, agricultural scientists and researchers from different states participated in the event.
• In 2016, the Union Government decided to observe 15 October every year as Rashtriya Mahila Kisan Diwas considering that women are contributing in various aspects of agriculture including sowing, planting, fertilising, plant protection, harvesting, weeding, and storage.
Andhra Pradesh announces Rs 5 lakh relief for deaths caused by Cyclone Titli
• The Andhra Pradesh Government announced a relief of Rs 5 lakh each in the case of deaths caused by ‘Titli’ cyclone in Srikakulam district.
• It also sanctioned the distribution of 25 kilos of rice (additional 25 kilos for fishermen), one-kilo dal, one-litre palm oil, one-kilo potato, one-kilo onion and 1/2 kilo sugar per family.
• This assistance is made applicable to those affected by the floods caused by Vamsadhara river.
• A compensation of Rs 30000 per hectare was announced for banana, Rs 25000 per ha for cashew and Rs 20,000 per ha for agricultural crops and assistance of Rs 40,000 per ha for replantation for small and marginal farmers in three years time under MGNREGS.
• For big farmers who lost cashew and coconuts, the subsidy available under the Union Government schemes and the balance will be borne by the State government for a total assistance of Rs 40,000 per ha.
• The government will pay a compensation of Rs 1 lakh per fully damaged/lost motorized boat and Rs 6 lakh per fully damaged/lost mechanized boat and Rs 10000 per fishing net.
PM Modi to visit Japan for 13th India-Japan Annual Summit
• PM Narendra Modi will visit Japan on October 28-29, 2018 for the 13th India-Japan Annual Summit.
• This will be the fifth Annual Summit meeting between Modi and the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and their twelfth meeting overall since 2014.
• Prime Minister’s visit will reaffirm the traditional bonds of friendship between the two countries and strengthen their multifaceted cooperation in diverse fields.
ICC launched Women’s T20I ranking
• The ICC launched global Women’s T20I Team Rankings, placing India at fifth position while three-time champions Australia topped the 46-team table.
• The ICC’s move to launch the women’s T20I rankings follows its decision to award international status to all T20 matches.
• An ICC release in Dubai said all women’s T20 matches between members have international status.
NSE signs agreement with Uttarakhand to prompt MSMEs growth
• Leading stock exchange NSE signed a pact with the Uttarakhand government to provide access to capital to MSMEs.
• This agreement will prompt the growth of MSMEs entities in the state.
• It will play an active role in nurturing the SMEs and start-ups by increasing awareness.
• NSE’s SME Platform has currently 182 companies listed, which together have raised over Rs 2850 crore.
First India-Israel Innovation Centre opened in Bengaluru
• India’s first India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, was launched in Bengaluru.
• The IIIC is a significant step towards facilitating penetration of Israeli companies in India.
• It aims to forge local partnerships and joint ventures between companies from the two countries.
• It will provide an ecosystem to support entrepreneurship in both the countries.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week