Maharashtra to launch scheme to protect deposits in credit societies
• The Maharashtra government is going to come out with a scheme to protect deposits of upto Rs 1 lakh in cooperative credit societies, on the lines of similar protection offered to depositors of commercial banks.
• The name of the scheme would be Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Credit Society Deposit Protection Scheme. It will provide protection to deposits up to Rs one lakh.
• The scheme will be launched by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on September 25.
• There are 8,421 credit societies in the state, with total deposits of Rs 40,000 crore. Under the scheme, if a society faces financial crisis, depositors will still get their money back (upto Rs 1 lakh).
• The credit societies have been demanding this protection for a long time. A similar protection is already provided to deposits of upto Rs 1 lakh in banks.
Lender banks cannot be left hanging for forever: SC
• "Lenders cannot be left hanging for forever", the Supreme Court observed on September 19, 2018 and made it clear that the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) was brought to ensure that the dues of the companies, declared non-performing assets (NPAs), are recovered by the banks.
• The bench said under the Code, a chance can be given to the bidders to revive a debt-ridden company keeping the interests of workers in mind.
• The bench also made it clear that if the resolution plans fails to take off, then the NPA firm needed to be wound up to ensure that the banks get their dues.
• Earlier, the cases used to remain pending for years before the Board for Industrial and Financial Reconstruction and the Appellate Authority for Industrial and Financial Reconstruction under the Sick Industrial Companies Act, it said.
Revolutionary leader Koteswaramma passes away
• Revolutionary leader, writer and feminist Kondapalli Koteswaramma passed away on the early hours of September 19, 2018.
• Koteswaramma, who suffered a brain hemorrhage last week, had celebrated her 100th birth anniversary recently.
• She was a widow of Kondapalli Seetharamaiah, the founder-member of People's War Group (PWG) and an active party worker of the United Communist Party in the 1940s and 50s.
• She was also at the forefront of movements related to rights of women, marginalised sections and civil rights.
Cabinet to introduce Manipur Mob Violence Control and Prohibition Bill
• The Manipur cabinet on September 19, 2018 decided to introduce the Manipur Mob Violence Control and Prohibition Bill to stop increasing incidences of lynchings in the state.
• The cabinet meeting was held at Jiribam, the first such to be held outside the state capital town of Imphal.
• It was preceeded by launching of the helicopter service between Imphal and Jiribam town by Chief Minister N Biren Singh.
• It takes about six and half hours to cover the distance between Imphal and Jiribam by road and travellers have to face blockades periodically. In a chopper the distance would be covered in 35 minutes, transport department.
Haryana government gives nod for construction of Kishau dam
• The Haryana government has given its go ahead for the construction of Kishau dam on Tons river, a tributary of the Yamuna.
• With the construction of this dam, Haryana would get additional 709 cusecs of water for drinking and irrigation purposes.
• According to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed by six states in the year 1994, Haryana's share in the Kishau Dam is 709 cusecs water out of the live storage capacity of 1,324 million cubic metre (MCM).
• Notably, the Kishau Multi-purpose project, which includes construction of a 236-metre-high concrete dam across Tons river, a tributary of the Yamuna in Dehradun district with a live storage capacity of 1,324 MCM, will create irrigation potential of about 97,000 hectares, make available 517 MCM drinking water and generate 660 MW of power.
NDMC to set up separate Ayush department
• The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has decided to set up a separate department of Ayush department to provide holistic treatment through ayurveda, yoga and naturopathy, unani, siddha and homoeopathy. These services were being offered by the health department of the civic body till now.
• The decision to set up a separate department Ayush was taken at a council meeting on September 20, 2018.
• The NDMC is also planning to establish a 50-bedded AYUSH Integrated Hospital and Research Centre at Sarojini Nagar within two years.
Mizoram tops states in adult HIV prevalence
• Mizoram had the highest adult HIV prevalence among states in India last year with the infection being detected in 2.04 per cent of the people whose blood samples were tested.
• Around 18,081 people were found HIV positive in Mizoram between October 1990 and August 2018. The state has a total population of around 11 lakh.
• On November 16 last year, the Mizoram assembly was informed that 14,632 HIV positive people were identified in the state.
• Mizoram was one of the five states where the number of new infection cases increased, though such cases are declining nationally, the HIV Estimations 2017 report released by National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) stated.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.