Current Affairs in Short: 24 January 2019
Railways Minister Piyush Goyal was on January 23, 2019 given temporary charge of the Union Finance Ministry. Arun Jaitley, currently on medical leave in the United States, may not present the Modi government’s last Budget on February 1, 2019. Jaitley will remain a minister without portfolio during his indisposition.
Piyush Goyal gets temporary charge of Finance Ministry, may present Budget 2019-20
• Railways Minister Piyush Goyal was on January 23, 2019 given temporary charge of the Union Finance Ministry.
• Arun Jaitley, currently on medical leave in the United States, may not present the Modi government’s last Budget on February 1, 2019. Jaitley will remain a minister without portfolio during his indisposition.
• Goyal had previously held the finance portfolio when Jaitley was recovering from a medical procedure for a kidney transplant.
Ravneet Gill appointed as MD & CEO of YES Bank
• YES Bank appointed Deutsche Bank’s Ravneet Singh Gill as its MD and CEO, who will succeed Rana Kapoor.
• The bank received the RBI approval for the same.
• Gill, who is the CEO of Deutsche Bank’s India operations, will join the private lender on or before March 1, 2019.
• YES Bank had time till February 1 to announce a successor to Kapoor, whose term ends on January 31.
• Gill has been serving as the CEO of Deutsche Bank in India since 2012. He has been at the bank since 1991.
Republic Day 2019: Police Medals for Fire Service, Home Guards and Civil Defence personnel announced
• 86 personnel will be awarded Fire Service Medals on the occasion of the Republic Day 2019.
• Of these, President’s Fire Service Medal for Gallantry will be awarded to 15 personnel, Fire Service Medal for Gallantry will be awarded to 14 personnel, and President’s Fire Service Medal for Distinguished Service to 7 personnel and Fire Service Medal for Meritorious Service to 50 personnel.
• 58 personnel will be awarded Home Guard & Civil Defence Medals on the occasion of the Republic Day.
• Of these, President’s HG & CD Medal for Distinguished Service will be awarded to 8 personnel and HG & CD Medal for Meritorious Service to 50 personnel.
Uttar Pradesh celebrates 69th Foundation Day
• Uttar Pradesh celebrated its 69th foundation day on January 24, 2019.
• To celebrate the occasion, the main function was organised at Awadh Shilp Gram in Lucknow.
• Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath along with members of state cabinet attended the function.
• Uttar Pradesh was earlier known as United Province but through a Gazette notification, it got its name of Uttar Pradesh on January 24, 1950.
Three Indian expats from the UAE win prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award 2019
• Three Indian expats from the UAE are amongst those who won the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award 2019, the highest honour conferred on Indian diaspora.
• President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the award on Girish Pant, Surender Singh Kandhari and Dr Zulekha Daud and other awardees at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention in Varanasi.
• Girish Pant, a social worker has been instrumental in rescuing several Indian sailors stranded in UAE waters.
• Surender Singh Kandhari, chairman of the Gurudwara Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Temple, is a philanthropist, businessman and a long-term Dubai resident.
• Dr Zulekha, founder and chairperson of Zulekha Healthcare Group, who came to the UAE in 1964, is believed to be the first female practising doctor in the country.
Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissions new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’
• Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned the new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’ at Diglipur in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
• The Naval Air Base will enhance the maritime capability along with keeping the northern part of Andaman sea and the area under surveillance.
• The INS Kohassa will be used to handle operations of helicopters and small aircraft like the Dornier.
• The airport at Diglipur will be utilised for both Defence and civil aircraft.
• With the inauguration of INS Kohassa, Andaman and Nicobar Command will further strengthen its defence capabilities in the region.
CBI registers FIR in ICICI Bank-Videocon loan case
• The Central Bureau of Investigation registered an FIR regarding the alleged irregularities in the Rs 3,250 crore loan case by ICICI Bank to Videocon.
• The investigation agency also carried out searches at the group’s offices in Mumbai and Aurangabad.
• The CBI had in 2018 registered a preliminary enquiry against Videocon promoter Venugopal Dhoot and Deepak Kochhar along with others after allegations of corporate irregularities in the loan given by ICICI Bank to the company in 2012.
• Since then, ICICI Bank has also initiated an internal enquiry under former Supreme Court judge BN Srikrishna.
• Earlier, ICICI bank CEO Chanda Kochhar resigned from her post in October 2018.
Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurates National Declamation Contest on Patriotism and Nation Building
• Minister of State for Youth Affairs & Sports, Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurated the National Declamation Contest on Patriotism and Nation Building during the National Declamation Contest, organised by Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) with the support of Department of Youth Affairs.
• The aim of the National Declamation Contest is to further strengthen the spirit of Nationalism amongst youth and masses for wholehearted participation in nation building.
• It also aims to identify youth with leadership qualities and good communication skills for their holistic development and empowerment.
• This will enable them to take lead in understanding the functions and policies of the government towards nation building.
• NYKS has been organizing National Level Declamation Contest since 2015-16.
Government to launch Technology Mission Centre on Solar Energy & Water Treatment in Chennai
• Union Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harsh Vardhan will launch three important centres, set up by Department of Science and Technology (DST), at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IITM) on January 25, 2019.
• The first of these is the establishment of DST –IITM Solar Energy Harnessing Centre.
• The Centre will focus on a wide range of research and technology development activities such as silicon solar cells that promise high efficiency and are suited for Indian conditions.
• The network of researchers engaged in centre comprise of scientists from IIT Madras, IIT-Guwahati, Anna University, ICT-Mumbai, BHEL and KGDS, which will be further expanded.
• The objective is to create a platform that can be extended readily to strengthen the knowledge eco-system .
DAY-NRLM successful in reducing poverty through livelihood diversification
• The pace of reduction of poverty in India has speeded up in recent years as per the Global Multi-dimensional Poverty Index 2018 and as per the note published by the Brookings Institution.
• The Deendayal Antodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) is aimed at alleviation of rural poverty through building sustainable community institutions of the poor.
• It seeks to mobilise about 9 crore households into Self Help Groups and link them to sustainable livelihood opportunities by building their skills.
• It is envisaged that the intensive and continuous capacity building of rural poor women will ensure their social, economic and political empowerment and development.