Current Affairs in Short: 25 September 2019
The Union Government has instituted Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel award, the highest civilian award in the field of contribution to the unity and integrity of India.
Government institutes Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel unity award
• The Union Government has instituted Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel award, the highest civilian award in the field of contribution to the unity and integrity of India.
• The award will recognize notable and inspiring contributions to promote national unity and integrity and to reinforce the value of a strong and united India.
• The award will be officially announced on National Unity Day, on the occasion of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary on October 31. The award will be conferred by the President and it will comprise a medal and a citation.
• The award will not be given to more than three people in a year and it would also not be conferred posthumously except in very rare cases.
Deepti Sharma becomes 1st Indian cricketer to bowl 3 maidens in T20Is
• Deepti Sharma created history on September 24, 2019 by becoming the first Indian cricketer to bowl 3 maiden overs in T20Is.
• Deepti Sharma ended with figures of 4/8 with three of the four overs maiden in India’s first T20I against South Africa in Surat. Sharma’s record bowling figures lead India to victory.
• This is the first-ever time than an Indian cricketer has bowled these many maidens in a T20I match.
Private Security Agency Licensing Portal by Home Minister
• Private Security Agency Licensing Portal was launched by Home Minister Amit Shah on September 25, 2019 at a function in New Delhi. Amit Shah said that the portal will be available in all official languages such as Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Gujarati within three months.
• The portal will comprise the number of licensed agencies in the states so that people do not fall prey to the fake or fraudulent private security agencies. The portal will also assist people in cross-checking the police verification of each security guard.
• Currently, 90 per cent police stations are linked with computer and people can check the criminal records of the security guard they are deploying.
India announces USD 12 million grant for developmental projects in Pacific Island nations
• Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced allocation of USD 12 million grant for high impact developmental projects in the Pacific Islands Developing States (PSIDS).
• The announcement was made after PM Modi met with the PSIDS leaders on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York. The leaders assured complete support to India from their respective governments.
• Besides this, an additional concessional Line of Credit worth 150 million USD was also announced. The credit line can be availed by the countries in the region for undertaking solar, renewable energy and climate-related projects.
• PM Modi stated that India was committed to battle impact of climate change and support the efforts by the PSIDS in achieving their developmental goals.
Jitendra Singh launches CPGRAMS of Department of Posts in New Delhi
• Union Minister Jitendra Singh launched Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) of Department of Posts in New Delhi on September 25, 2019.
• The CPGRAMS is a web-enabled online system, which has been developed by NIC in association with Directorate of Public Grievance and Department of Reforms and Public Grievances.
• The system will enable submission of grievances by citizens from anywhere and anytime. The portal will also facilitate tracking of grievances through a unique system generated registration number.
Assam Govt launches housing loan subsidy scheme
• The state government of Assam has launched a housing loan subsidy scheme to provide financial assistance for the purchase or construction of the first house for a family.
• The loan subsidy scheme- Aponar Apon Ghar was launched by Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on September 24, 2019 in Guwahati.
• The scheme is meant for the loan sanctioned in this financial year. Under the scheme, subsidy upto Rs 2, 50, 000 will be provided for loan amounts from Rs 5-40 lakh.