Current Affairs in Short: 26 August 2019
The Seventh Community Radio Sammelan will be held at Dr. BR Ambedkar Bhawan, New Delhi.
7th Community Radio Sammelan to be held in Delhi
• The Seventh Community Radio Sammelan will be held at Dr. BR Ambedkar Bhawan, New Delhi from 27th to 29th August 2019.
• The theme of this year’s Sammelan is ‘Community Radio for SDGs’. The representatives of the Community Radio Stations will discuss experiences and possibilities of programming for better public awareness on the Sustainable Development Goals.
• Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar will give awards to Community Radio Stations for their achievements in broadcasting development programmes in various genres including Promotion of Local Culture, Most Creative and Innovative Content, Community Engagement Awards, among others.
BharatPe raises USD50 mn in Series B funding
• Payments platform BharatPe has raised USD 50 million in Series B funding round led by Ribbit Capital and Steadview Capital.
• Existing investors Sequoia Capital, Beenext venture capital fund and Insight Partners also participated in the round.
• The new round valued the startup at USD 225 million, Ashneer Grover, Co-founder and CEO of BharatPe, told TechCrunch.
CVC constitutes a panel to examine bank fraud
• An Advisory Board for Banking Frauds (ABBF) has been constituted by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to examine bank fraud of over 50 crore rupees and recommend action.
• This panel was previously known as Advisory Board on Bank, Commercial and Financial Frauds.
• The four-member board's jurisdiction will be confined to those cases involving officers of General Manager level and above in the PSBs in respect of an allegation of fraud.
India to have 10,000 CNG stations in next 5 years: Petroleum Minister
• Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said India will have ten thousand CNG stations in the next five years.
• While launching the commencement of work for 10th City Gas Distribution bidding round which will cover 50 Geographical Areas in 124 districts across the country, Petroleum Minister suggested auto companies retrofit vehicles with CNG to boost sales.
• The Minister said the Government aims to provide reliable, affordable, sustainable and universal access to clean fuel to all.