Current Affairs in Short: 9 May 2019
The sixth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 will be held on May 12, 2019 for 59 parliamentary Constituencies across 7 States including Delhi. During the sixth phase, over 10 crore voters are expected to vote.
Golfer Tiger Woods receives US Presidential Medal of Freedom
• US President Donald Trump awarded golfer Tiger Woods with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the country's highest civilian honour.
• With this, Woods became the fourth and youngest golfer to receive the medal.
• Woods joins golfers Arnold Palmer, Charlie Sifford and Jack Nicklaus to have received the award.
• Lately, Woods won the 5th Masters title, after nearly 11 years of real struggle amid personal and professional setbacks of divorce and multiple surgeries.
• The US Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded every year to people who have made exceptional contributions to national interests, world peace, cultural interest or other major public or private accomplishments.
158th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore celebrated
• The 158th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore was celebrated across the country on May 8, 2019.
• As per the Gregorian calendar, Tagore’s birth anniversary is observed on 7 May, however, as per the Bengali calendar, the anniversary is celebrated on 8 or 9 May.
• Tagore’s birth anniversary is also known as ‘Pochise Boishakh’.
• Tagore, a poet, playwright, essayist, song composer and a painter, was India’s first Nobel laureate to have received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.
• Besides writing national anthem of India 'Jana Gana Mana', Tagore wrote the national anthem for Bangladesh 'Amar Sonar Bangla', and the national anthem for Sri Lanka 'Nama Nama Sri Lanka Mata'.
INS Kolkata, INS Shakti sail with Naval Ships of Japan, Philippines and the USA
• INS Kolkata and INS Shakti undertook the Group Sail during May 3-9, 2019 with naval ships of Japan, Philippines and the United States in the South China Sea.
• The Group Sail saw participation of six combatants from the participating countries.
• The exercise was aimed at intensifying the partnership and fostering the mutual understanding.
• The ships participated in various exercises such as formation manoeuvering, cross-deck flying and exchange of Sea Riders.
India, China sign protocol for export of Indian Chilli Meal
• India and China on May 9, 2019 signed a protocol for export of Indian Chilli Meal from India to China.
• The move came after a meeting between the Anup Wadhawan, Commerce Secretary, and Li Guo, Vice Minister of the General Administration of Customs of China (GACC).
• During the meeting, both the sides discussed the trade related issues such as the long pending Indian request for clearance of agricultural products.
• Both the sides also agreed for quick resolution of the market access issues.
Sixth Phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 to be held on 12 May
• The sixth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 will be held on May 12, 2019 for 59 parliamentary Constituencies across 7 States including Delhi.
• During the sixth phase, over 10 crore voters are expected to vote.
• 979 candidates would be in the fray.
• The Election Commission has set up around 1 lakh polling stations for polls