14 August to 20 August 2017: Quizzes for the week cover the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include Navika Sagar Parikrama, newly appointed WHO Goodwill Ambassador for physical activity and 100-million-year-old damselfly among others.
1. Who was appointed as the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for physical activity in South-East Asia Region?
a) Milkha Singh
b) Sachin Tendulkar
c) Mary Kom
d) P V Sindhu
2. Which country would be hosting the G-7 Interior Ministers’ summit 2017 on security issues?
3. India's first Partition Museum was opened recently in which city?
4. Archaeologists have discovered three ancient tombs dating back around 2000 years in which country?
5. Who was appointed as the Secretary to Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu?
a) Gurdeep Singh
b) I V Subba Rao
c) N Yuvaraj
d) Ranjit Patil
6. The Union Cabinet gave its approval to complete which project in Jharkhand and Bihar?
a) Tawa Reservoir Project
b) Yeleru Reservoir Project
c) North Koel Reservoir Project
d) Hirakud Reservoir Project
7. A new species of a 100-million- year-old damselfly was named in honour of Sir David Attenborough. Where was this damselfly discovered?
d) Sri Lanka
8. Who among the following is not a part of recently constituted Steering Committee and Technical Committee for the International Film Festival of India -2017?
a) Prasoon Joshi
b) Nagesh Kukunoor
c) Shoojit Sarcar
d) Pahlaj Nihalani
9. Who was appointed as Russia's Ambassador to India?
a) Caroline Wozniacki
b) Simona Halep
c) Madison Keys
d) Nikolay Kudashev
10. Name the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew.
a) Navika Sagar Parikrama
b) Mahila Sagar Parikrama
c) Tarini Sagar Parikrama
d) Shakti Sagar Parikrama
1. (a) Milkha Singh
As a WHO Goodwill Ambassador, Milkha Singh will promote Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) Prevention and Control Action Plan in South-East Asia Region which seeks to reduce the level of insufficient physical activity by 10 per cent and NCDs by 25 per cent by 2025.
2. (b) Italy
Italy would be hosting the summit of the Group of Seven Interior Ministers on security issues in October 2017. According to Italy’s Interior Minister, Marco Minniti, the meeting is being organised at the request of Italy's G-7 partners- Canada, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States.
3. (a) Amritsar
In the past 70 years since India and Pakistan were created, there has never been a venue focused on the memorabilia of those who survived the partition until now. This is the first time that a venue is created to mark India's independence and to focus on the stories of survivors of the chaotic and bloody history of India.
4. (b) Egypt
Archaeologists have discovered three tombs that date back around 2000 years in southern Egypt. They were found in burial grounds in the Al-Kamin al-Sahrawi area in Minya province, south of Cairo.
5. (b) I V Subba Rao
Retired IAS officer I V Subba Rao was appointed Secretary to Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu. Rao, a 1979 batch IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre, retired from service as Special Chief Secretary in 2016.
6. (c) North Koel Reservoir Project
The Union Cabinet gave its approval to complete the balance works of the North Koel Reservoir Project in Jharkhand and Bihar. The total estimated expenditure on balance work will be Rs 1622.27 crore, which will be incurred during three financial years from the start of the project.
7. (b) Myanmar
The species, belonging to a group more commonly known as shadow damsels, was named Mesosticta davidattenboroughi. Researchers decided to name the new species after David Attenborough because of his long-standing appreciation of dragonflies, and to celebrate his 90th birthday.
8. (d) Pahlaj Nihalani
The Steering Committee and the Technical Committee for the International Film Festival of India -2017 will be convened by Jahnu Barua and headed by Nagesh Kukunoor. The International Film Festival of India is proposed to be held from 20th - 28th November 2017 at Goa.
9. (d) Nikolay Kudashev
The appointment of Kudashev came seven months after the death of Russia's previous Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin. After his sudden demise, Anatoly Kargapolov represented Russia in New Delhi as Charge d’Affairs.
10. (a) Navika Sagar Parikrama
Navika Sagar Parikrama, the first ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew, is scheduled to commence in early September 2017. They will begin their voyage from Goa on an Indian-built sail boat INSV Tarini and expect to return to Goa in March 2018.