7 August to 13 August 2017: Quizzes for the week cover the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include 15th Ministerial Meeting of BIMSTEC, 2017 Global Retirement Index and Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog among others.
1. The 15th Ministerial Meeting of BIMSTEC concluded at Kathmandu on 11 August 2017. B of BIMSTEC stands for
d) Bay of Bengal
2. Which of the following countries topped the 2017 Global Retirement Index?
3. What is India’s rank in the 2017 Global Retirement Index?
4. India became ________ country to ratify the Second Commitment Period of the Kyoto Protocol.
5. Assembly of this state has passed a bill to reclassify coconut as a tree ensuring legal protection to it.
a) Tamil Nadu
d) Andhra Pradesh
6. Who has been appointed as the new Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog?
a) Rajiv Kumar
b) Suresh Prabhu
c) Amitabh Kant
d) Arvind Subramanian
7. ‘The dawn of cruise tourism in India’, a special event held to promote cruise tourism in the country was inaugurated in which city?
8. Who was honoured with Asia Society Game Changers Award 2017?
a) Amitabh Bachchan
b) AR Rehman
c) Anil Kapoor
d) Dev Patel
9. Which railway station in Uttar Pradesh was renamed after Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay?
10. This institution or organization has said to the Supreme Court that a mosque could be built in a Muslim-dominated area at some distance from disputed site in Ayodhya.
a) Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board
b) Uttar Pradesh Shia Central Waqf Board
c) Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat India
d) None of the above
11. Which state’s government has decided to raise $270 million from the Green Climate Fund with the help of 2030WRG?
12. India celebrated the 75th anniversary of which historic movement on 9 August 2017?
a) Non-cooperation movement
b) Civil Disobedience movement
c) Dandi March
d) Quit India Movement
13. The IT Ministry has set up a new centre to scan web traffic and detect cyber threats. Which among the following is the correct centre?
a) National Cyber Coordination Centre
b) National Cyber Threat Evacuation Centre
c) National Cyber, Malware Threat Detection Centre
d) National Malware Security Centre
14. According to the latest Supreme Court order, owners would require which document to renew the insurance of their vehicles?
a) Aadhaar identity card
b) Driver’s License
c) Registration certificate
d) Pollution under control certificate
15. NASA's Cassini spacecraft is set to begin its final five ultra-close orbits around which planet?
1. (d) Bay of Bengal
The 15th Ministerial Meeting of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) was concluded at Kathmandu on 11 August 2017. In a joint statement issued after the meeting the members agreed to intensify their collaborative efforts to realise the aims and purposes of the group embodied therein and pledged to make BIMSTEC stronger, more effective and result oriented.
2. (b) Norway
The 2017 Global Retirement Index was topped by Norway, followed by Switzerland and Iceland. On the other hand, India was ranked at the last position of 43rd in the 2017 Global Retirement Index. The Index is published by French asset management company Natixis Global.
3. (c) 43rd
India in the first week of August 2017 was ranked at the last position of 43rd in the 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI). The Index is published by French asset management company Natixis Global.
4. (a) 80th
India on 8 August 2017 ratified the Second Commitment Period of the Kyoto Protocol on containing the emission of Green House Gases. With this, India became the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol.
5. (c) Goa
The Goa Legislative Assembly has passed a bill which reclassifies coconut as a tree ensuring legal protection for it. The Assembly, on the last day of Monsoon session on 7 August 2017, passed the Goa, Daman and Diu, Preservation of Trees Act, 1984 to regulate felling of coconut trees.
6.(a) Rajiv Kumar
The Union government on 5 August 2017 appointed noted economist Rajiv Kumar as the new Vice- Chairman of NITI Aayog. Kumar would be succeeding Arvind Panagariya, who recently announced his resignation in order to return to the field of academics. Kumar, a senior fellow at the Centre for Policy Research (CPR), a public policy think-tank, has authored several books on the Indian economy and India’s national security.
7. (c) Mumbai
In order to promote cruise tourism in India, a special event, ‘The dawn of cruise tourism in India’ was inaugurated in Mumbai on 8 August 2017. The event revealed to a worldwide audience the preparedness of Mumbai Port and Ministry of shipping to host cruise vessels in the country. It also saw the launch of three reports, “Mumbai Port SoP’s for cruise operations”, “Road map for Sea cruise tourism” and “Cruise terminals in India”.
8. (d) Dev Patel
Indian-origin actor Dev Patel was honoured by Asia Society with the 2017 Asia Game Changers Award for making a “transformative and positive” difference for the future of Asia and the world.
9. (b) Mughalsarai
BJP-led NDA government approved changing the name of Uttar Pradesh's Mughalsarai railway station after Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay. The Mughalsarai Junction railway station near Varanasi is the largest marshalling yard in Asia.
10. (b) Uttar Pradesh Shia Central Waqf Board
In its effort to put to rest the 70-year old legal battle on the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute, the Shia Central Waqf Board of Uttar Pradesh on 8 August 2017 told to the Supreme Court that a mosque could be built in a Muslim-dominated area at some distance from disputed site in Ayodhya.
11. (c) Maharashtra
The state government of Maharashtra is planning to raise $270 million from the Green Climate Fund with the help of the 2030 Water Resources Group (2030WRG).The government plans to invest the funds raised in integrated watershed programmes such as Jalyukt Shivar Yojana, which has successfully improved the ground water level in drought affected areas of the state.
12.(d) Quit India Movement
The 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement, also known as August Kranti Andolan, was celebrated across India on 9 August 2017. The movement that aimed to help India attain complete independence, a historic milestone in the Indian freedom struggle, had begun on 9 August 1942 under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi.
13. (a) National Cyber Coordination Centre
The first phase of National Cyber Coordination Centre has been made operational in India. The centre has been set up to scan the country's web traffic and detect cyber security threats. The centre would be scanning the internet traffic coming into the country to detect real-time cyber threats and alert various organisations as well as internet service providers for timely action.
14. (d) PUC Certificate
The Supreme Court of India issued a list of directions to curb pollution on 10 August 2017 that includes no renewal of vehicle insurance unless the owners produce pollution under control certificates. The decision was taken by a bench of justices headed by Justice Madan B Lokur.
NASA's Cassini spacecraft is set to begin its final mission phase-five ultra-close orbits around Saturn on 13 August 2017-before it plunges into the atmosphere of the ringed planet and ends its epic 20-year-long journey.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.