Senior IPS officer Datta Padsalgikar was on 30 January 2016 appointed as the Commissioner of Police of Mumbai with effect from 31 January 2016. He succeeds Ahmed Javed, who was appointed as Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
With this, Padsalgikar became the 40th Police Commissioner of Mumbai. He was on deputation to the Union Government in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) for the past few years, but was repatriated in January 2016 in preparation for his new charge.
About Datta Padsalgikar
• Born on 26 August 1958, Padsalgikar is an IPS Officer of 1982 Batch.
• Padsalgikar has vast experience in terror and counter-terror operations and had been playing a critical role in gathering evidence against the Pakistani non-state actors who directed the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks of November 2008.
• He has also worked as an Assistant Superintendent of Police in Nagpur and Karad (Satara).
• He served as Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Detection in the crime branch, DCP in Economic Offences Wing, DCP in South Mumbai and DCP of the Bandra-Jogeshwari stretch.
• In the Intelligence Bureau (IB), he has worked in Nagaland, New Delhi and Washington (US).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Datta Padsalgikar
When: 30 January 2016