The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on 18 May 2016 conducted the trial run of India's first ever Metro train equipped to run in the driverless mode. The train was ceremonially flagged off by Union Minister for Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
The six-coach train was ferried to India from South Korea by sea and was brought by road to Delhi on special trailers. DMRC has already assembled 14 such trains and will add 3-4 trains every month to take the total count to 86.
Highlights of the Driverless Metro train
• The driverless trains will run on the over 58 km-long Majlish Park-Shiv Vihar (Line 7) and the over 38 km-long Janakpuri (West)- Botanical Garden (Line 8) corridors of the Phase-III.
• This new-generation driverless metro train is equipped to travel on Unattended Train Operations (UTO) mode with advanced features.
• It is suitable to eventually run on UTO mode as the train has extremely high levels of automation. Thus, train operators will not be required to operate these trains.
• The Operations Control Centres (OCC) of the Delhi Metro system will directly regulate the movement of these trains.
• The On-board CCTV cameras will provide the inside and outside view of the train.
• The images from CCTV will be directly accessed by the control centre in driverless mode.
• This high-tech train will increase the Delhi metro’s frequency to 90 seconds instead of the current average of two minutes.
• The train boasts Wi-Fi, USB ports, charging points, LED and LCD screens and backrest near the wheel-chair area.
• In addition, a green Receiving Sub Station (RSS) was also inaugurated at Mukundpur. It will help to meet the power requirements of the Majlis Park–Shiv Vihar corridor.
• The RSS was designed as a green structure with features such as solar power plant, rain water harvesting and sewage water treatment facilities.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Conducted by DMRC
When: 18 May 2016
Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana: Delhi Government launches Free Pilgrimage Scheme for senior citizens
Railways Ministry, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum sign MoU to foster tourism in Delhi NCR
Delhi’s Signature Bridge: All you need to know
Delhi Metro Pink Line: Trilokpuri Sanjay Lake - Shiv Vihar section opens for public