East Bengal wins Calcutta Football League 2016
Calcutta Football League is the football league system where several football clubs of Kolkata participate. It currently consists of seven-tier pyramid system.
Indian football giants East Bengal on 16 September 2016 won the Calcutta Football League (CFL) for the seventh consecutive time.
The team defeated Mohammedan Sporting 1-0 at the Kalyani Stadium.
East Bengal bettered its own record of winning it six times straight from 1970 to 1975.
About East Bengal Football Club
• East Bengal Football Club is a professional football club, based in Kolkata, West Bengal.
• East Bengal FC was founded in 1920.
• It currently competes in the I-League, the top-tier of Indian football pyramid.
• The club has won 3 National Football League, 8 Federation Cups, 3 Indian Super Cups and many more.
• The club has represented India the most number of times in the Asian competitions, with its best performance being a semi-final berth in the AFC Cup 2013.
• East Bengal had also won ASEAN Club Championship in 2003.
About Calcutta Football League
• Calcutta Football League is the football league system where several football clubs of Kolkata participate.
• It currently consists of seven-tier pyramid system.
• Indian Football Association (IFA) conducts the CFL with 157 mostly Kolkata based clubs and units.
• Started in 1898, this league is regarded as one of the oldest football competitions in the world.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App