Reliance Communications Limited (RCOM) on 10 February 2015 tied-up with social networking giant Facebook to offer free internet access to people in India through the Facebook's initiative, Internet.org.
Both the companies jointly launched Internet.org with an aim to bring the power of Internet to a billion people in India in order to increase internet inclusion and encourage more Indians to go online.
The Internet.org initiative will provide access to popular websites and services with zero data charge to make it easier for people to access the Internet across both the 2G and 3G platforms.
Highlights of the tie-up
• As part of this initiative, RCOM will offer free data access to 33 popular websites for all its customers under the umbrella of Internet.org. The free websites include Facebook, OLX, Cleartrip, TimesJobs, Babajob, Jagran Josh, ESPN Cricinfo, etc.
• Most of the services of 33 popular websites will be available in several Indian languages including English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Gujarati and Marathi.
• All the subscriber of RCOM who have internet enabled mobile phones will get access to this free service.
• Android based app of Internet.org on smartphones will be also provided for accessing free internet. India will be the first country in Asia to get this app.
• In the first phase, this service will be available in RCOM’s 7 circles which include Mumbai, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Chennai and Kerala.
• In the second phase, this service will be launched in pan India by May 2015.
When: 10 February 2015