The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 23 August 2017 approved the renaming of Central Sector Scheme SAMPADA as Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) for the period of 2016-20.
SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) was approved by the CCEA in May 2017.
• PMKSY was approved with an allocation of Rs 6000 crore.
• The objective of PMKSY is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease Agri-Waste.
• The scheme is expected to leverage investment of Rs 31400 crore and handling of 334 lakh MT agro-produce valuing Rs 104125 crore.
• It is likely to benefit 20 lakh farmers and generate 530500 direct or indirect employment in the country by the year 2019-20.
• The implementation of PMKSY will help in creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
• It will boost up the food processing sector and will help in providing better prices to farmers.
• It will help in reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level, availability of safe and convenient processed foods at affordable price to consumers.
PMKSY: An Umbrella Scheme
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) is an umbrella scheme that incorporates various ongoing schemes of the Union Government. The schemes that fall under the cover of PMKSY are:
• Mega Food Parks
• Integrated Cold Chain
• Value Addition Infrastructure
• Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
• Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters
• Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
• Creation and Expansion of Food Processing and Preservation Capacities
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider