Forbes on 20 March 2017 released The World's Billionaires List 2017. It was the first time ever that Forbes pinned down more than 2000 ten-figure-fortunes of the billionaires. The total net worth of these billionaires rose by 18 per cent to USD 7.67 trillion.
This year's list marks the record for the richest people on earth as the number of billionaires jumped 13 per cent to 2043 from 1810 last year. This change in the number of billionaires is the biggest in the 31 years that Forbes has been tracking billionaires globally.
The top three in the list are Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Jeff Bezos.
Forbes releases Sixth Annual List of The World's Most Innovative Companies 2016
Highlights of the World's Billionaires List 2017
• Bill Gates topped the list with fortune of USD 86 billion. He is not only the Number 1 in the list for the fourth year in a row, but also is the richest person in the world for 18 out of the past 23 years.
• Warren Buffett had the second-best year. His USD 14.8 billion jump in 12 months was enough for him to get him 2nd spot in the list.
• Amazon’s Jeff Bezos had the best year as it added USD 27.6 billion to his fortune making the total fortune of USD 72.8 billion. He was ranked at third position in the list.
• Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg moved up to number five position for the first time, after his fortune rose to USD 56 billion.
• Meanwhile, Carlos Slim Helu of Mexico, once the world’s richest man, fell to number six. It was the first time that Carlos is out of the top five in a dozen years.
• There were 195 newcomers. Notable newbies include Patagonia sportswear founder Yvon Chouinard; Viking Cruises founder Torstein Hagen of Norway; US hedge fund tycoon Cliff Asness and John and Patrick Collison, founders of Stripe.
• Mainland China had the most new ten-figure fortunes with 76 billionaires. The US was the second with 25 billionaires.
• John Collison, age 26, is now the world’s youngest self-made billionaire, just two months younger than Snapchat’s Evan Spiegel.
• US President Donald Trump’s ranked at No 544 on the list, with a net worth of USD 3.5 billion.
• There are 15 new self-made women, all but one of whom are from Asia Pacific. That includes 10 from China and the first ever from Vietnam Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, who took her airline VietJet Air public in February 2017.
• The sole American self-made woman newcomer is Thai Lee, who was born in Thailand but moved to the US as a child and now runs tech reseller SHI, reportedly the nation’s largest woman-owned business by sales.
• The US continues to have more billionaires than any other nation with a record 565 billionaires. China is catching up with 319. Germany has the third spot most billionaires with 114 number. India fetched fourth spot with 101 billionaires, the first time it has had more than 100 billionaires.
• Seventy-eight people fell off the list including 33 from China, 7 Americans and 9 who are still super wealthy but share their wealth among extended family members.
• Additionally, 20 billionaires died in the past year, including Enterprise car rental founder Jack Taylor.
Forbes list of World Billionaires 2016 released
Indians in the World's Billionaires List 2017
• As many as 101 Indians, including 13 newcomers made it to the list.
• With a net worth of USD 23.2 billion, Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), is the highest-ranked Indian in the list at Number 33.
• Mukesh is followed by Lakshmi Mittal at No 56 with USD 16.4 billion fortune; Azim Premji at No 72 with USD 14.9 billion worth; Dilip Shanghvi at No 84 with USD 13.7 billion worth.
• There are nearly 20 people of Indian-origin who have made fortunes in various nations across the world led by UK-based Hinduja brothers who are ranked 64th with USD 15.4 billion net worth.
• The list includes only four women billionaires from India led by Savitri Jindal and her family at the 303rd position with a net worth of USD 5.2 billion.
• Smita Crishna-Godrej from the Godrej clan is ranked 814th followed by Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw at 973rd position and Leena Tewari at No 1030.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.