Former Puducherry CM Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy passes away
He became Chief Minister of AIADMK in 1974 heading the AIADMK-CPI coalition ministry for a brief period.
Former Puducherry Chief Minister Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy passed away on 15 May 2017 in Puducherry following a brief illness. He was 80. He is survived by wife and three sons.
About Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy
• Ramaswamy began his political career in Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) during student days.
• He was Home Minister in the DMK-CPI coalition ministry from 1969 to 1973.
• In 1973, he shifted his allegiance to the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
• He became Chief Minister of AIADMK in 1974 heading the AIADMK-CPI coalition ministry for a brief period.
• He was also the Chief Minister in the AIADMK government in 1977, which lasted in office for a little over one year.
• He successfully contested as Independent from Karaikal in 1985 and 1990.
• He joined Congress in 1992.