Dr. Manoj Soni, former Vice Chancellor of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, took the Oath of Office and Secrecy as Member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 28 June 2017 at Delhi.
The Oath was administered by the UPSC Chairman David R Syiemlieh. UPSC conducts recruitment exams to select country’s top bureaucrats.
About Manoj Soni
• Born on 17 February 1965, Soni earned his doctorate in "Post-Cold War International Systemic Transition and Indo-US Relations" from Sardar Patel University.
• He is also a scholar of Political Science with specialization in International Relation Studies.
• He was the youngest-ever Vice Chancellor in independent (India).
• He has received several awards and recognitions including the rare honour of ‘Honorary Mayor-President of the City of Baton Rouge’ that was conferred to him by Mayor-President of Baton Rouge in Louisiana, USA.
• He also received ‘World Education Congress Global Award’ for Distance Learning Leadership.
• He will hold the current office for a term of six years from the date on which he takes charge or until he attains the age of 65 years.
With his appointment, the strength of the UPSC has gone up to eight. The UPSC, headed by a chairman, can have a maximum of 10 members.
The Commission conducts civil services examination annually in three stages, preliminary, main and interview, to select officers for Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) among others.