The Global Investors Meet (GIM 2015) was on 10 September 2015 held in Tamil Nadu to woo investors to invest in the state. The GIM 2015 was officially inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the Chennai Trade Centre.
The first-of-its-kind investor’s summit in Tamil Nadu was aimed at targeting investment commitment of 1 lakh crore rupees. Over 5000 delegates including from foreign nations attended the two-day summit, that is, from 9 September to 10 September 2015.
This event sought to realize the State’s vision of inclusive growth through investment inflows, growth in employment, balanced regional development and environmentally sustainable long term development.
Nine countries registered themselves as partner nations for this mega investment event.
Highlights of the GIM 2015
• Tamil Nadu attracted investments worth more than 2 Lakh 42 thousand Crore rupees at Global Investors Meet, double of the targeted investment that was 1 lakh crore rupees.
• A total of 98 Memorandum of Understanding were signed and promised that the investments are safe and mutually beneficial.
• Almost 90 percent of the investments were in the traditionally strong areas of manufacturing and energy sectors.
• Tyre majors MRF Ltd, Apollo Tyres and various other companies in the manufacturing sector have proposed to invest close to 55201 crore rupees that would generate over 35000 jobs in Tamil Nadu.
• FICCI jointly with Tamil Nadu Government organised Investment Roadshows at Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi, Ahmedabad, Pune, Mumbai and Kolkata for Tamil Nadu Global Investors Meet 2015.
• HCL will invest over 1 billion US dollars over the next five years in southern Tamil Nadu.
• Mahindra & Mahindra will invest 2000 crore rupees in the state.
• Yamaha will set up a third plant in Tamil Nadu while TVS Motor Company will expand its footprint in Hosur and TICEL Bio Park II will also be set up.
• Several agreements were signed for setting up of 5345 MW solar power projects involving an outlay of 35356 crore rupees.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.