The Union Government of India on 1 July 2013 launched the National Cyber Security Policy 2013 at New Delhi with an aim to protect information and build capabilities to prevent cyber attacks. The National Cyber Security Policy 2013 to safeguard both physical and business assets of the country.
The Policy has outlined the roadmap for creation of a framework for comprehensive, collaborative and collective responsibility to deal with cyber security of the country. The policy has ambitious plans for rapid social transformation and inclusive growth and India's prominent role in the IT global market. It will cater to the cyber security requirements of government and non-government entities at the national and international levels.
The policy will help in safeguarding the critical infrastructure like Air Defence system, nuclear plants, banking system, power infrastructure, telecommunication system and many more to secure country's economic stability.
The National Cyber Policy in order to create a secure cyber ecosystem has planned to set-up a National Nodal Agency to coordinate all matters related to cyber security in the country. The nodal agency has clearly defined roles and responsibilities. The policy will also establish a mechanism for sharing information as well as identifying and responding to cyber security incidents and for cooperation in restoration efforts.
The National Cyber Security Policy has been prepared in consultation with all relevant stakeholders, user entities and public.
• This policy aims at facilitating creation of secure computing environment and enabling adequate trust and confidence in electronic transactions and also guiding stakeholders’ actions for protection of cyber space.
• The National Cyber Security Policy document outlines a road-map to create a framework for comprehensive, collaborative and collective response to deal with the issue of cyber security at all levels within the country.
• The policy recognises the need for objectives and strategies that need to be adopted both at the national level as well as international level.
The objectives and strategies outlined in the National Cyber Security Policy together serve
i. Articulate concerns, understanding and priorities for action as well as directed efforts.
ii. To provide confidence and reasonable assurance to all stakeholders of the country (Government, business, industry and general public) and global community, about the safety, resiliency and security of cyber space.
iii. Adopt a suitable posturing that can signal to resolve and make determined efforts to effectively monitor, deter & deal with cyber crime and cyber attacks.
Salient features of the policy
The National Cyber Security Policy covers the following aspects
• A vision and mission statement aimed at building a secure and resilience cyber space for citizens, businesses and Government.
• Enabling goals aimed at reducing national vulnerability to cyber attacks, preventing cyber attacks & cyber crimes, minimising response & recover time and effective cyber crime investigation and prosecution.
• Focused actions at the level of Govt., public-private partnership arrangements, cyber security related technology actions, protection of critical information infrastructure and national alerts and advice mechanism, awareness & capacity building and promoting information sharing and cooperation.
• Enhancing cooperation and coordination between all the stakeholder entities within the country.
• Objectives and strategies in support of the National cyber security vision and mission.
• Framework and initiatives that can be pursued at the Govt. level, sectoral levels as well as in public private partnership mode.
• Facilitating monitoring key trends at the national level such as trends in cyber security compliance, cyber attacks, cyber crime and cyber infrastructure growth.
Earlier, the Government of India on 8 May 2013 approved the National Cyber Security Policy with an aim to create a secured computing environment across the country.
Union Government of India approved National Cyber Security Policy
Where: New Delhi
When: 1 July 2013