Greta Thunberg wins International Children’s Peace Prize
Greta Thunberg has launched a campaign against climate change with schoolchildren around the world.
Greta Thunberg, a young environmental activist, was recently awarded the International Children's Peace Prize. She has been given this honour to fight for environmental protection.
Thunberg has launched a campaign against climate change with schoolchildren around the world. Cameroon's peace activist 15-year-old Divina Maloum has also been awarded the International Children's Peace Prize. Dutch children's rights organization 'Kids Right' has been giving this award since 2005.
Peace Prize to Greta Thunberg
• Indian child rights activist and 2014 Nobel Peace Prize winner Kailash Satyarthi presented the award. Thunberg could not attend the ceremony at The Hague as she was sailing across the Atlantic Ocean to attend an international climate conference in Madrid, Spain.
• However, she sent a message expressing gratitude for the honour, stating, "She is very grateful for the award and feels honoured."
• A German climate activist Louisa-Marie received the award on behalf of Thunberg. She said that climate crisis is the issue of peace of our time.
Peace Prize to Divina Maloum
Divina Maloum was awarded for her "peaceful struggle" against the jihadi group Boko Haram. She said in her speech during the award ceremony, "The leaders forget the children when they speak about peace in Cameroon and Africa. I invite my colleagues to raise their voice.”
About Greta Thunberg
• Greta Thunberg (16-year-old) of Sweden has been nominated for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize. Greta works to protect the environment.
• Greta is the founder of the School Strike for Climate Movement. The movement began last year when Greta protested alone outside the Swedish Parliament.
• She inspired students to join protests to act on climate change.
• She protested before Sweden's parliament to reduce carbon emissions according to the Paris Agreement.
• She skipped the school and demonstrated outside Parliament. She has inspired students in other countries of the world.
• It was a result of her efforts that as of December 2018, 20,000 schools in 270 cities in the world went on strike. Greta has also been invited to speak at TED Talk in Stockholm.