Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) on 17 November 2015 released a report entitled Internet in India 2015 report.
The report surveyed usage of internet on different devices (mobile, desktop, etc), in different areas (village and urban) and among different demographic segments.
The key finding of the report is India’s internet user base will touch 402 million by December 2015 making it the second-largest in the world after China.
Highlights of Internet in India 2015
• The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 402 million by December 2015 registering a growth of 49 percent over last year. With this, India will surpass the USA and will have second largest user base next only to China.
• Currently, while internet users in India are pegged at 375 million, China leads in the world with more than 600 million internet users.
• While Internet in India took more than a decade to move from 10 million to 100 million and 3 years from 100 to 200 million, it took only a year to move from 300 to 400 million users.
• Overall, 71 percent male and 29 percent female are Internet users in India. The Internet usage among males has been growing at a rate of 50 percent while it is growing at 46 percent for female users. And, among the female Internet users, the highest growth has been among the Non-Working women.
In urban areas
• In Urban India, the ratio between male to female Internet users is 62:38. Significantly, Internet users among females are growing at a rate of 39 percent compared to 28 percent among males.
• Significantly, there has been a huge spurt in the number of people accessing internet on a daily basis in Urban India. As on October 2015, 69 percent of users are using Internet on a daily basis. This daily user base has gone up by 60 percent from last year.
• In Urban India, mobile Internet user base has grown at a rate of 65 percent over last year to reach 197 million in October 2015. The Mobile Internet Users have surged to 80 million by October 2015 growing at 99 percent over last year.
• Interestingly, the report also reveals that out of all the Internet non-users surveyed in the 35 cities as part of this study, 11.4 million Non-Users are willing to access the Internet in the next one year and over 2/3rd of them intend to do so through mobile phones.
In Rural areas
• Among the Rural Internet users, 88 percent are males. The Internet users among females are growing at 61 percent and 79 percent among males. And, 75 percent of the rural internet users belong to the age group of 18-30 years.
• The user base of mobile internet users in Rural India is expected to reach 87 million by December 2015 and 109 million by June 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App