The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) in collaboration with IMRB International on 17 June 2015 released the Social Media in India 2014 report.
The report analysed the trends in using social media across the country between March 2014 and April 2015.
Highlights of Social Media in India 2014 report
• There are 143 million social media users in India as on April 2015.
• For many people accessing the Internet for the first time, social media was the reason they embraced Internet.
• Usage of social media in rural India has grown by an impressive 100 percent to reach 25 million users during April 2014 and March 2015.
• Urban India registered a relatively lower growth of 35 percent with the total number of users at 118 million as on April 2015.
• The top 4 metros continue to account for almost half of the social media users in urban India.
• College going students and young men still form the 60 percent of the social media users in urban India.
• Facebook was leading social media website with 96 per cent of users in urban areas accessing it, followed by Google Plus (61 per cent), Twitter (43 per cent) and LinkedIn (24 per cent).
• The largest segment accessing social media consists of the college going students with 34 percent followed by young men at 27 percent.
• School going children constitute 12 percent of the social media users.
• 61 percent of users access social media on their mobile device.
• Maintaining a profile on social networking sites are a top activity of users followed by updating status.
• Commenting on a blog site is the third most popular activity among users in social networking sites.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App